What Does It All Mean?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball What Does It All Mean?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

In a few months, the Patriot League will hold their annual coaches luncheon in basketball. They will announce preseason teams and projected award winners. I fully expect that Tim Kempton will be projected as POY again and Matt Holba will be the odds on favorite, barring unanticipated redshirt for ROY. So what does that mean for Lehigh?

If Matt were to eventually win the award, it would be 3 years in a row that a Mountainhawk had been named ROY. Ironically, another Lehigh team in the not so distant past boasted 4 in a row. Anyone know the team? (Bonus if you can name the 4 recipients). Over that 7 year span however, Lehigh only won 1 PL regular season championship with 2 runner ups. Individual honors are nice but it takes much more than that to become a winner. ROY simply means we recruited well and we were a place where they can have an immediate impact. The next stage and probably the one which is most telling is how we develop players and how we develop the team concept. We may learn a lot about this coaching staff over the next 3 years.
    Next year, we return about 80% of our productivity and bring in 3 players who should all have a role on this year’s team. How do we develop them to maximize team success, for this year and years to come?

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

I’m pretty sure LU never had four straight ROY’s. Had three out of four not too long ago – Hall, Keefer, and CJ.

Agree that a player’s role and the quality of the other players has a lot to do with who gets ROY award. Most of the top players in PL history (Foyle and CJ excepted) did not get it.

TMH
    Participant

Sorry Bison…it wasn’t basketball I was referring to. Probably should have been more specific. I think Evans from Holy Cross stopped the string you were referring to. We got 2 PL championships from that group.

TMH
    Participant

Sedore will be an interesting project to watch this year. He is both 6-11 and raw. Most will see raw as a liability but it may also be an opportunity. In my perfect world, he would be spending his off season in TK’s hip pocket, learning everything he can but when practice begin he would schooled be on one specific role. Unlike JC, he may not have settled into a playing style quite yet. I’d want him to focus on rebounding and altering shots. I would give him Stefan type minutes because even though he may not be essential this season, he may very well be next year and sitting on the bench doesn’t lead to progress. He would be the 5th option on the court offensively. We have plenty of scorers. Focus on his attitude first and then his technique. Goal is Dennis Rodman without the colored hair, tattoos and wedding dress. He can afford to be aggressive since he has 5 fouls to give in limited minutes. If we can develop just that part of his game this year, his upside may be huge. Just my opinion.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

Yes, Evans was ROY during that time span. Over those 7 years, LU won only one regular season title – but two tournaments.

As for the four straight ROY awards, it seems like it has to either be women’s lax or else golf. Pretty sure it’s not anything else.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

There are a few other freshman that have some impressive rankings and offers, and I’ll be interested to see how this foot injury impacts Holba’s year. He also will have decent competition for minutes, so he may not get the shots to win ROY, but more importantly I hope he plays good minutes on an excellent team.

On Sedore, I too hope he picks up as much as possible from Kempton, but I expect them to be much much different players. Sedore will never have the weight and frame of TK, but I think he will be significantly more explosive as a run + jump athlete. I think he can be a shotblocker in the PL, but I don’t know if he will ever be a dump down scorer in the mold of TK. Will be fun to watch no doubt.

TMH
    Participant

Bison,
    You are really good. It was women’s lacrosse

2006 Sara McIntyre (co)
    2007 Inneke Carmola
    2008 Lauren Dykstra
    2009 Kelly Draper
    They only won one regular season championship in 2010 but I think lost the tournament to Navy

Interesting note: Lauren Dykstra was Rookie of the Year in 2008, Offensive POY in 2009, Defensive POY in 2010 and the inaugural winner of the midfielder of the year in 2011. That may never happen again.

My hat hat is off to you, Sir.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.