What's the Road Map to an Upset?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football What's the Road Map to an Upset?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

So everyone is predicting a blow-out with the Ford Hams toying with a Goodman Stadium record (69 points by Lehigh v. Georgetown in 2002). But despite the comparisons, we all know there is a reason the game is played. For Lehigh to pull off the ‘upset of the past several decades’ (just when did Lehigh pull of an upset when they were such underdogs?), what must be done?

My take is the following. 1) Ball control. The longer Nebrich is on the sideline the better. 2) “Devine” intervention. His punting has been stellar, not just in net yards, but directional and inside-20. If FU needs to consistently look at 80-90 yard drives, the odds increase. 3) Much needed pressure on Nebrich when in. He’s not the mobile guy of years past since knee injury. He has a very quick release,and by making him “quicker” maybe a pick or two results..which leads to 4) having a nice ‘plus’ in turnovers. I still feel we have some very good athletes on defense, just undersized upfront, so we need to incorporate some schemes that FU is not ready for. Hopefully, Bott can cook something up. If we can keep the Rams in the 30’s we have a shot. My take. You gotta believe.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

To answer my own question, above, my first recollection of a major upset of this proportion would be Lehigh beating Delaware in 1970 at Taylor Stadium, 36-14. At that time, the Blue Hens were a national power in D-II, and Lehigh was in its 8th straight losing season, but just coming out of the desert through the leadership of Fred Dunlap. For me, then a freshman, this was ‘the’ signature win that propelled Lehigh on to a very respectful 4-6 season, followed in 1971 by by going the NCAA playoffs, the “the rest”, as they say, is history. Since then, Lehigh’s program has been one of the most consistent winning programs in the country. Can anyone think of another upset to which this could compare?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

…and I will add #5 to my list: Less than four penalties!! Hopefully, none, but trying to be realistic.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

When has a 1-5 Lehigh team last in the nation in defense (sorry if I’m off by a little here) ever beaten a nationally ranked team? Was Lehigh considered that bad before the Delaware upset?

Sounds like Hurricane Sandy. Once in a lifetime or two?

We’ll need to do much of this:

On special teams:
    — No turnovers when we have ball
    — Two good (40-yards or more returns)
    — Give up no big returns
    — Devine intervention
    — Block a kick/punt
    — Make all XPs and FGs within 40 yards.

On O:
    — Ball control
    — No turnovers
    — Few penalties
    — Near-perfect execution by the players

On D:
    — Three+ turnovers
    — Best tackling of the year
    — Containing Nebrich from scrambling out of pressure
    — Fordham penalties
    — Commit pass interference instead of getting beaten deep. Getting beaten deep is my biggest fear.
    — Near-perfect execution by the players
    — Maybe I’m naive, but I’m not concerned that much about the run. Give up 150 yards or less and we could be OK — if we win turnover battle, etc.

The 12th Man:
    Hopefully a good crowd that stays engaged the whole game.

But we’re all human ..

Realistic projection I hope will be closer (could be too much inexperience on LU for this kind of game):
    52-35, FU

TheCobbler
    Participant

LU has been able to run the football against everyone this year. There is a chance they can grind it out and keep FU off the field. All it takes is a long scoring drive by LU then a stop by the D and another long TD drive by O and frustration can set in for FU. There is no doubt the FU players feel the same way people on here feel, that LU won’t be able to stop them. If they start getting frustrated they can press and make mistakes. That plays right into LU hands. Can’t turn the football over on O and need to make a play on special teams (turnover, blocked kick, big return, etc.)

I suspect Fordham will prevail in the end, but this can be a closer game than most think.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I lived thru the 60s era from a Lambert Cup to a decade of really bad teams. Hence my nagging fear of a repeat.
    An upset. If we can do most of what is suggested here ,it is certain we will be in the game. To win we need Fordham’s help. If Rams come out flat,we will upset them.

Miller
    Participant

Nebrich injured early and +4 in TO’s. Hold Fordham under 400 yards of O. Now we’d have a chance. Just hope kids play with heads up and continue to get better each week. After this game, assuming no injuries for us, we can compete and win the rest.

holyloch61
    Participant

I only hope we have no injuries and will have a healthy team for the game in NYC .If Lehigh can hold them to less than 50+ points that should count as a small victory .

LehighGuy
    Participant

56-49 LU wins!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Would not br surprised if the o/o is 100.

toddcudd
    Participant

I saw 70 something for o/o.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

That was me also. I’m very flexible,depends on my mood :)

holyloch61
    Participant

I repeat!!! I hope no one gets hurt ,and they play great ,to think they can win is CRAZY !!!!! I do hope they WIN !!!

toddcudd
    Participant

From AGS; yes, I’m now that level of junkie:

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus Megapardus

Fordham (-14) at Lehigh o/u 71
    Albany (-6½) vs Colgate o/u 44
    Lafayette (-16) vs Holy Cross o/u 51
    Bucknell (-12) at Georgetown o/u 35
    Brown (-11½) vs Cornell o/u 37
    Harvard (-6) at Princeton o/u 58
    Dartmouth (-28) at Columbia o/u 49
    Yale (-16) vs Penn o/u 71

toddcudd
    Participant

And for the record, since my picks have been a total disaster so far: Lehigh runs the ball well, +2 TOs, defense has their best day. 28-27 rams, LU misses late short FG.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.