Where Lehigh Gathers to Gloat

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Where Lehigh Gathers to Gloat

This topic contains 47 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Let’s not forget that Andy Coen was OC at Lehigh (under effective head coaches) and then at Penn for 5 years each. He also had Cecchini as his OC for the last few years before he left and Dave knew how to run and O. Therefore, the monstrosity we witnessed at Yankee Stadium is mostly on AC. It can’t all be laid onto poor Folmar although he, obviously, has not learned the Lehigh offensive schemes either and has not determined how to get the best out of what we have. Given he hasn’t figured out what to do beyond a slightly more advanced version of plain vanilla, it was Coen’s responsibility to get it right and he totally defaulted – in the 150th game, on national TV, in front of 49,000, and for the game referred to as the “second season”.
    I sat in the “special” section with the bigwigs and donors. Not many stuck around until the end.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Where Lehigh’s Fans Gather

Not to cry and not to gloat.

See below why gloat is no good – whether winning or getting trounced. Basketball is 0 – 4 and football is what it is.

gloat (glt)
    intr.v. gloat·ed, gloat·ing, gloats
    To feel or express great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction: Don’t gloat over your rival’s misfortune.
    n.
    1. The act of gloating.
    2. A feeling of great, often malicious, pleasure or self-satisfaction.
    [Perhaps of Scandinavian origin; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.]
    gloater n.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Andy’s background makes this past yr all the more puzzling.He has taken a hands off with his Coordinators. Lets not forget Trey. His system did not work this year,altho we dont know how he is behind closed doors.
    I have no idea what to think of Folmar.Circumstances,injuries,inexperience,his and players,or perhaps all of the above. O worked after a fashion. D not much of a change all season. Big plays.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Agreed

Folmar gets a pass this year to a degree, but he cannot oversee a repeat of this season or he has to go. Same with Coen. If he cannot recruit or ensure the offense is run effectively, he is not the man for the job. Why he took a hands off approach with a green coordinator on O and Bots is a total mystery.
    Aldo, WR cannot hear the bs about the players not understanding the system and that we need a vanilla approach etc.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Two agendas right now. Recruiting and D staff. Will they be better a year in? Or does Andy clean house? Someting in between? Dont know. Whatever he opts for hooefully works.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

How can we get Holy Cross to can Gilmore and bring him back as the DC?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

If the Cross board has its say,Tom already gone. They are hyperbolic.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Yes, losing to G’town after beating Bucknell a real head scratcher, though Hoyas were a scrappy group. Kudos to their coach “keeping it together” all year and pulling off the final victory.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Been on the road all this time, at work today.

I feel like I have to say something, though many of you said it well …

Hawkineer, who summed up my feelings: “From an LU perspective, the team acted like they were coming to a party in the Bronx. From an LC perspective, they were there to play a football game and proceeded to kick our butts for a full half. We’ve all said it all year – this staff has underperformed all year in getting this team prepared to win, whether mentally or physically.
    Here is my Christmas wish – an immobile, strong armed QB and OC who knows how to use him. I never want to look at another QB draw or read option run again. This is not as much a slight to Shaf as it is to Folmar/Coen.”

“I also apologize to Wilcher. The secondary was as bad this year if not worse than last. Clearly he was not the only problem.”

Yea, DL and LBs got steamrolled again Saturday.

LU Hawker: “I am, and always will be proud to be Lehigh, but the team picked the worst moment to collectively embarrass the University. I can live with losing; I cannot live with not showing up or being prepared.”

Sadly, none of my friends nor I — or the folks in the airport I saw Sunday — were wearing our colors after the dismal loss.

Sadly, LC’s stomping on the LU logo at midfield last year at Goodman must have been forgotten.

Question for RichH: After watching that game Saturday, is our OL really “very good”? I like Yosha and Leigh. Pelletier solid; still waiting to see something besides funky-colored boots from Kelsey.

One more year of this and we may looking for a new HC. Will Sterrett etc., put up with three losses in a row like this to LC? Or do people still care?

LU was downright embarrassed in games three or four times this year. I cannot remember something like this.

ALSO: I like Tavani. Very good coach.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No sunday,OL was not great on Sat. The entire O was outplayed and outcoached. OL held up pretty well this season. The line on Sat had exactly 1 starter left from the start of the season. Clearly it would have been miraculous for line to be as good.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

People underestimate the impact of losing Short in the Yale game. The center calls the plays for the line, but he foremost must get the ball to the QB consistently. We had more fumbled snaps this year than I can ever remember–high, low, left, right. With a young QB, having to worry where the ball will be has an impact, as well as messing up the timing with the RBs. For that reason, and the problems experienced earlier in the season, I don’t know why we didn’t have Shaf go under center. It cost us the Holy Cross game, imo, by not being able to hit the quick opener at the goal line. Holes opened, but the backs couldn’t get there quick enough. If you don’t have a rock solid center, you have problems at the get-go.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

1. I agree, Yale’s intentional injuring of 2 Lehigh OL and Yosha had a dramatic impact on the rest of our season. Sodeke and Leigh did an admirable job in Yosha’s absence, but we missed Yosha’s explosiveness a lot that was there in our first two games. Center snaps were a problem all year (as was long snapping – we went through 3 different ones I believe) and running lanes didn’t open up the way they had before.

2. People are saying that the LBs are supposedly an area of strength, but I see it more as a position where there needs to be soul-searching. On Scheuerman’s 75 yard TD run he ran towards where there should have been linebacker help and it wasn’t there. It seemed like once a game teams ran this same damned play for a 50+ yard touchdown, and again it was a matter of second-level contain that should never happen in a D-I football game, never mind Yankee Stadium. Worse, everyone in the stadium knew Scheuerman was going to get that ball. You can’t give the excuse that the LBs, or coaches, were surprised by that play.

I can’t chalk that up to youth, either. The guys playing linebacker all had plenty of game experience. IMO, it was a hair-tearing problem during the year that needs immediate fixing in 2015.

3. I may never know the answer to this, but Josh Parris caught more than 3 passes a game in 9 of the 10 contests before Saturday, and Saturday he only catches 1 pass for 30 yards, the first play from scrimmage, the second-longest gain from scrimmage the entire afternoon. He had a pretty good season overall – not Spadola or Kurfis numbers, but a decent possession receiver (605 yards/3 TDs going into Saturday). Of all the Lehigh players on the field, it was him that had the biggest chance to elevate and play out of his mind on Saturday. Why on Earth wouldn’t you throw the ball his way 9, 10 times? Some are saying that Lafayette was dropping 8 in coverage and it was simply that good. I don’t buy that. You need to find ways to get Parris open – maybe not to get a 15 catch, 200 yard performance, but certainly 5-6 receptions for critical 1st downs. What about a bubble screen or two? A couple WR screen passes? I’d have been happy with 6 catches, 60 yards, 1 TD.

4. If Lafayette was dropping 8 to cover three receivers then softening them up by throwing underneath to the TE might have forced them to respect the interior more, allowing Pelletier to get behind the coverage. It wasn’t even tried, when Coyle was another player that had an opportunity to be one of those seniors that went out with a blaze of glory. Coyle and Parris were not bit players. They were key guys that kept us in games all season. How do you let weapons like that go unused?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Very true. No explanation as to why the TE was virtually ignored all season, with a couple exceptions. As for the LBs, it seemed to me the DL and LBs were out of position many times and getting ‘caught’ inside. A real lack of ‘coordination’ and planning. I am remembered of the old “Seven P’s of Life”(though redundant): Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance. That says it all for #150

Hawkineer2
    Participant

LU was very much uncoached vs outcoached. Tavani did not have to be Einstein to shut down LU’s playbook.
    Plain vanilla with Shaf running after faking a pass or RS running into the middle of the line. Almost no short passes to disrupt rhythm of their defense. As written above, there are too many questions. Coen’s and the coaching performance was so bad, it is beyond analysis.
    A total shambles.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Just saw where you changed it to where we come to “CRY”……hilarious!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.