Whitfield 19 vs Oak Hill

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Whitfield 19 vs Oak Hill

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TMH 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

LUHoops00
    Participant

Word of God played their first game of the season after just 3 practices, and went to Oak Hill and lost by 14. Whitfield had 19 points in the opener, good production vs one of the top programs in the country. Good stuff.

lehigh90
    Participant

Impressive.  Oak Hill is usually stacked 10 deep with D1 recruits, with usually 2-3 Top 100 nationally.

lehigh90
    Participant

Forgot to mention, Oak Hill is coming off a national championship last season and 44-0.  Not sure what they lost, but safe assumption that they are stacked again this year.

LUHoops00
    Participant

90 – Loaded is an understatement, I didn’t have time to do more then I wrote earlier cause I went to LU vs HC football.

Of the guys I have heard of, Oak Hill pg is Britt who committed to UNC. Thornwell is going to South Carolina. Williams committed to Indiana this week. And of course, the aforementioned RJ Curington who has a host of offers, including reported Maryland.

So yeah, they’re loaded…

TMH
    Participant

Even prior to the Oak hIll game, my feelings is that Whitfield will be the diamond in this year’s recruiting class. He seems to be improving on a weekly basis. A lot of big programs have shown interest in him. I love players not afraid to do the dirty work with hustle. If he has developed his offensive skills, he will do well in our league.

TMH
    Participant

LUHoops00
    Participant

Man, Shavlik Randolph has his own tournament, wow am I getting old!

Good to see Shane doing well, cause his class is huge to the continuation of the LU program success.

LUHoops00
    Participant

To put the cherry on top of last nights debacle of a loss, it looks like Whitfield per twitter broke fibula and tore ligaments, not good. I believe he has history of knee injuries, let’s hope for speedyrecovery.

Lets  hope reed is working om using that last scholly.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

This is really depressing news.  I was/am still hoping Shane can be a cornerstone of the post Big 3 era from day 1 along with Chuku, Price & Kempton.  Hopefully he can get his body right and 100% by the fall for both his and Lehigh’s sake.  The kid has had a rotten draw so far on the injury front.

It would certainly be nice to get 5 newcomers next year (including Chuku) although I’m dubious Reed will (or is allowed to) use that last scholly.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Thought I saw this on twitter. Lousy for us, but more for Sh ane. I wish him a quick and full recovery.

TMH
    Participant

Update:
    Early in the first quarter of the HighSchoolOT.com Holiday Invitational title game, Word of God Academy (Raleigh, N.C.) forward Shane Whitfield buckled his leg as he moved to block the lane.
    Whitfield, a senior who is signed to Lehigh, never returned to the game and eventually went to the emergency room where he learned that he’d broken his fibula. That means the Holy Rams will be without Whitfield for the rest of the season.
    Whitfield was averaging 13 points a game for the 10-1 Rams. He is scheduled for surgery Monday.

Note: There is no mention of ligament damage which is a plus and the fibula is a non-weight bearing bone I believe. I hear it’s about 6 weeks in a cast and perhaps another 8 in rehab. Hopefully, he should be OK by April/May and begin strengthening the ankle by early summer. Am I being too optimistic here?

lehigh90
    Participant

The fibula will be no big deal long term, although ligament damage could be.  The likely scenario would be that he broke the fibula very low down near the ankle, and with the sprain/strain of the ankle area, probably has a ligamentous soft tissue injury as well.  Just guessing, but since it does not appear to be the knee that is a good sign.

TMH
    Participant

Shane Whitfield was recently nominated for the McDonald’s All American game

http://www.newbernsj.com/sports/local/basketball-mickey-d-s-nominees-1.85799

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.