Why so quiet.

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Why so quiet.

This topic contains 47 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by van van 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Snark? Really? All I’m trying to show you is that the offense only plays half the game. In Lum’s best year Lehigh scored 32.5 ppg and the defense gave up 19 ppg. We won a lot of games and won a playoff game. In 2015, the offense scored 32.5 ppg but gave up 35 ppg and we still just missed the playoff. I’ll let you process that information. Long ball vs short ball had nothing to do with it.
    Brad Mayes is going to be a really good QB for Lehigh but take the time to ask him what he thinks of Nick’s abilities. Brad can throw downfield with greater accuracy but as of now is not nearly as mobile. Georgetown and HC (please keep in mind that Nick scored 2 of those TDs and had the longest throw of the game of 44 yards) were the worst pass rushers in the PL. Fordham was perhaps the best. Brad was sacked 4 times and threw 3 interceptions in that partial game.

Nick just ran for 3 TDs and 3 for 3 more in a 49 point output against Penn. All I ask is that you give him some credit.

van
    van
    Participant

Clearly Nick is not the weak link here, but his inability to connect on any down field passes is a glaring weakness, still has 8 games to master that

LehighGuy
    Participant

My goodness, what is all the complaining about from a O that avg. 30pts a game! Shaf is doing his job, sure i would like to see mayes also to give the opposing D something different to think about. Mayes can play! LU problem is obviously the D. We cant stop the run, teams have yet to try us on passing because they dont have to. We are so scared of our pass D and horrible DB play that we play nickel all game and other teams know it. so they just gash us with run plays and qb keepers because our D coaches have no clue and wont change up. from a O that avg at least 30pts a game we should be at least 8-3 with a AVERAGE performance from the D, but we know we have one of the worst Ds in all of FCS football. sad these coaches can keep their job at one of the best academic school in the country. i guess we’re not that smart at defensive football though

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  LehighGuy.

Lehigh74
    Participant

The sad part is Coen is a good guy and I believe has the capacity to be a good coach. His problem is that overall he hasn’t done a great job of picking assistants. Even worse, is his reluctance to make a change when one or more of his assistant isn’t cutting it. There is just no excuse for having one of the worst defenses in FCS every year.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Lehigh74.
    LUHawker
    LUHawker
    Participant

[quote quote=28299]Snark? Really? All I’m trying to show you is that the offense only plays half the game. In Lum’s best year Lehigh scored 32.5 ppg and the defense gave up 19 ppg. We won a lot of games and won a playoff game. In 2015, the offense scored 32.5 ppg but gave up 35 ppg and we still just missed the playoff. I’ll let you process that information. Long ball vs short ball had nothing to do with it.
    Brad Mayes is going to be a really good QB for Lehigh but take the time to ask him what he thinks of Nick’s abilities. Brad can throw downfield with greater accuracy but as of now is not nearly as mobile. Georgetown and HC (please keep in mind that Nick scored 2 of those TDs and had the longest throw of the game of 44 yards) were the worst pass rushers in the PL. Fordham was perhaps the best. Brad was sacked 4 times and threw 3 interceptions in that partial game.

Nick just ran for 3 TDs and 3 for 3 more in a 49 point output against Penn. All I ask is that you give him some credit.

[/quote]

You’re making this much more about Nick than I am. I’ve stated numerous times that he is a quality player and a stand-up individual. I do, however, prefer that we utilize the long-ball; it stretches the field, provides quick-strike capability and keeps the D “honest”. I know you know that. So if Nick can provide that option, why aren’t we utilizing it. If he can’t, why aren’t we mixing in Mayes (or whoever) to give some different looks? I was supremely disappointed that we did not see Mayes at QB during the Colgate game for even 1 play just to give Colgate a different look. No idea if that would have resulted in a different outcome. I have not and am not making this personal against NS; most of you criticizing me have pushed the commentary in that direction.

My main issues are with the coaching staff. AC came to Lehigh talking about playoffs and NCs. Now (as the last few years), its all about “the kids competing well”. Lehigh had a tremendous run from the late 90’s to mid-2000s and that all came to a halt when AC arrived. Al Pierce’s pick in OT may have saved Andy’s bacon in 2010 and we were all charmed by the 2010 and 2011, which I think gave AC more air cover than warranted (in hindsight) and may even have led to complacency.

The 150th was an epic disaster on literally the biggest stage in LU’s centuries old football heritage with the single worst play-calling and preparation that I’ve ever seen from a Lehigh team in 25 years (no, I haven’t seen them all). LU football went from exceptional to mediocre in a few short years and we remain there today (please don’t cite one-half of the Penn game to argue otherwise). I remember not long ago when going to Goodman you could feel the buzz in the stands, but no more. While college football attendance nationwide has challenges, it seems more pronounced at Lehigh these days. That reflects mediocre performance, staid play-calling and not wanting to watch the D get rolled over once again.
    We used to lead the league every year in attendance – not any more

Maybe I’m just impatient, but I feel like 10+ years with a 10-yr median record of 6-5 (average of 6.8-4.6) (yes, I did the math) AC is hardly lighting it up. That’s also 6 winning seasons and 4 losing seasons. 2016 is TBD.

There hasn’t been much to get excited about LU football in quite some time and I’d like to see that re-emerge. Will it, I don’t know.

van
    van
    Participant

my 2 cents, I am high on Mayes but not a fan of shuffling QBs, I can live with Shaf as his strengths far outweigh his one weakness

marco
    marco
    Participant

Ahem…

The question…”why so quiet?”

I can’t find too much fault with Follmar’s offense…seems to be recruiting the right personnel…scoring points, return to balanced attack. Face it…it’s a defense that allows strong teams (Villanova, Colgate, Fordham) to gain 500 yards. and 50 points, and let’s crap teams get almost as much. Lehigh should have won 8 games last year. With a so-so defense, (four tds per outing),they should win 8- 10 this year.

Andy’s record is mediocre because he hitches his wagon to mediocre coordinators….I respect loyalty but staying too long with a poor performer is also beginning to call the ADs judgment into question, no?

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by marco marco.
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

A

[quote quote=28305]The sad part is Coen is a good guy and I believe has the capacity to be a good coach. His problem is that overall he hasn’t done a great job of picking assistants. Even worse, is his reluctance to make a change when one or more of his assistant isn’t cutting it. There is just no excuse for having one of the worst defenses in FCS every year.

[/quote]

Perfectly said, Lehigh74. Took him a while to ditch his first OC before getting Cecchini, saving AC his job, too

van
    van
    Participant

I wonder how hard it is to attract good coaches to PL?

Crossers want to tar and feather Gilmore

Susan has the D but O sucks

Gate seems to have the most stable coaching system

Hoyas, ugh

Pards can’t say anything good about Tavani and crew

Morehead got the O going at Fordham but their D might be no better than ours

Just wondering out loud, sort of

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Fair point tho. Matching good OC abd DC not that easy. Coach K guess would be our last good DC.

lu90
    Participant

[quote quote=28319]Fair point tho. Matching good OC abd DC not that easy. Coach K guess would be our last good DC.

[/quote]

It is not hard to attract the coaches, it’s hard to get them to stay. There are a lot of previous Patriot League coaches that have moved on to greener pastures.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

PL rarely a destination for cosches. There are dozens of former LU coaches in doing well in FBS and FCS. A fact of life for all PL teams.

Miller
    Participant

we are 1 NG and 1 DC away from being legit on defense. Cross your fingers and hope we get both next season. I like Mayes too, but AC has always given the nod to seniors out of respect for that kids hard work. It usually works out but not always.

lu90
    Participant

[quote quote=28329]PL rarely a destination for cosches. There are dozens of former LU coaches in doing well in FBS and FCS.

[/quote]

Those two sentences kind of contradict each other.

Folmar is an example of attracting good coaches into PL. OC at a D2 school with a very good offense and left to take a job in PL.

In LU’s history alone, Higgins, Lembo, Kotulski, and Cecchini all moved on to better jobs at higher levels. Just last year, Moorhead left for Penn State. Well all those guys were originally attracted to and subsequently decided to coach in the PL.

Especially now with scholarships, it should not be hard to recruit and hire a good coordinator to an FCS school.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No 90
    PL is a stepping stone. Folmar will be moving up. Yes we attract good young coaches my point is we rarely keep them.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.