Yale

This topic contains 108 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Engineer86
    Participant

This idea that we lost to undefeated teams is laughable. JMU ran over us like a truck. Princeton blew us out and beat COLUMBIA by 5 and was there anything positive from today’s game. Start with again horrible play calling until the game was over, special teams, numerous mistakes and drops, a defense that got dominated only to be saved by Yale turnovers. Both lines dominated.

I guess a positive is that the league seems to be getting weaker with Lehigh. This staff is just not capable.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Pretty much agree Doc. The size differential quite apparent.Palma game but he got blown out on every running play. Notice most of their runs up the gut. One more comment before guys go back to fire everyone. Folmar ran the same sets and called same plays all game. Evident last week PU knew the plays,well Yale did also and Yale has a good D. Other han some bubble screens nothing done to open Yale D.
    6-5 possible but unlikely. 4-7 ,5-6 seems best we can look for. In between good years those
    records seem to be Andy’s mantra.
    Not a good OOC. Now to Bucknell and Fordham on the road. Oh joy (-:

hawktalker
    Participant

This was a step back today. Both lines manhandled. Special teams not very special: punter took eye off the ball, TP doesn’t look comfortable returning punts. League is Fordham and everybody else but 6-5 is probably where we’ll finish

Lehigh74
    Participant

Our current record is 2-3. I’m not sure which four of the six teams left on our schedule you think we are going to beat. I’d be surprised if we can win more than 2 or 3 of our remaining games.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

[quote=22291]Our current record is 2-3. I’m not sure which four of the six teams left on our schedule you think we are going to beat. I’d be surprised if we can win more than 2 or 3 of our remaining games.

[/quote]
    Couldn’t agree more! Where are four wins coming from? Georgetown and ??? At this point, 5-6 would be a miracle. Like last year, any good feelings about this team rests on the Lafayette game. Based in these five games, I’m not expecting any good feelings come November 21.

I listened to Andy’s radio interview at halftime. He said that his team was “outmanned”. What coach says that publically? Stunning!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Oh, my … another 529 yards given up on defense against a team that made a number of key mistakes. These kind of numbers, almost weekly, are unfathomable.

Awful, again.

Frankly, the OOC drubbings vs. Ivies are an embarrassment to our institution. And if we don’t get much better soon, we’ll get blown out by Fordham. Sure, we might — MIGHT or MIGHT NOT — have competitive games against the dregs of the PL. Has the PL fallen that much below the Ivies?

There’s almost no excitement on campus about this team or at the games — and why should there be?

Sadly, it’s getting worse, not better.

Even with a new HC, we’re looking at years of rebuilding. Does anyone have that kind of patience? What effect will that have on the program?

I see no good solutions, given the fact kids are getting recruited now.

Should Andy announce the DC and OC will not be back? Would that and a win vs. Lafayette — or all PL teams besides Fordham — save his job? Should it?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A fact of life. Ivies usually get players recruited by both PL and IL. With schollies we get a few more. HYP have amped up their recruiting substantially. With 4 classes we will approach parity. My feeling is they are reacting to our schollies. Makes sense as thers are few options in the NE for them to schddule,so reving up recruiting.Dont forget they have 130 spots and no schollie limit.

lu90
    Participant

[quote=22294]
    Should Andy announce the DC and OC will not be back? Would that and a win vs. Lafayette — or all PL teams besides Fordham — save his job? Should it?

[/quote]

You want him to be in charge of the new hires? What in his history shows he will be able to handle that job search?

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

[quote=22297]

You want him to be in charge of the new hires? What in his history shows he will be able to handle that job search?

[/quote]
    Amen! He is the CEO of a failing company! He assembled a management team that isn’t delivering results.

Watching his overall tone and body language during the weekly football reports and post game news conferences is pretty uninspiring and is actually depressing. He is starting to look more and more like someone who might want to pursue other opportunities elsewhere.

Doc Qb
    Participant

What is so exasperating to me is the inadequacy has touched so many aspects of our pogram. To me, recruiting has only marginally improved if at all. We are physically inferior to most everyone we faced this year. Our program height/weight listings have never been so inflated.

On defense, we’re small, have guys almost playing out of position by their size. Face it, Laub should be a LB, Caslow a SS or the new scheme’s rover, Robb a FS. Our corners are small, dont have impressive speed, and misplay a ton of balls. Look how many picks we dropped today, despite finally getting a few for a change. Even when improvements are seen and a few big plays made, our poor tackling (no one has been as bad as us at this all year) kills us.

We have flashes on O, but i am beginning to think UPenn was an aberration. Last week too many screens? LThis week, too many 3 step drop type slants from the gun. No deep outs. No deep posts. No changing to option route on blitzes. Socarras cant make a catch in traffic. He can only catch a five yard out when uncovered. Knott is not nearly as fast or talented as some on here believe. Troy hasnt been given any routes to try and separate, which is on Folmar. All of our WRs are the same, lanky guys without real speed. If they have it, Folmar is doing a great job of hiding it. And if we run that damn counter play the rest of the year i would implore RB corp to refuse to carry on it…its not been open all year, it gets blown up every time. Whenever we spread the wide outs wide, we run a screen to them. Any other pattern, they narrow their splits and bring the defense in, helping them. They not only tip off the D each time, they keep themselves from spreading the field and getting some separation. The no huddle-tempo-shotgun makes us looke multiple spread like, but we are pretty vanilla overall, and PU and Yale knew it.

We see flashes. Thats because we do have some talent. But the development of consistently playing at a high level comes from game plan and coaching. Putting your talent in a position to win. And our staff isnt doing their part here. Evidence? We’ve had the same posts here for a month and all of last year culminating in 150.

I know we’re not Alabama, and we shouldnt have those kind of expectations. But we have been better, can be better. Need to do something to right the ship.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

So … let’s get into the twigs … what is the specific process JS or ??? should use to right the ship?

If it’s fire the HC and staff, when?

Who do you hire? When?

How long will it take to right the ship?

The ship is in a shape it has not been in for a VERY long time.

But the last time AC had three losing seasons in a row, the fourth and fifth years were golden. And the teams were good at 10-1 and 8-3 in 2012 and 2013.

Personally, I can’t believe Coen did not can the DC after a miserable first year.

Would hiring a real DC — like the Cecchini hire, a guy who would be able to succeed AC — and a new OC be enough?

Or must AC go? If so, how and when? Is there something comparable in LU football history? Does it matter?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Go Lehigh TU Owl
    Participant

A good coach and staff can turn even really bad situations around rather quickly. Fordham went from 1-11 iirc to 6-5 in one year. Lehigh is not in complete dire straits right now devoid of hope and talent. It is a program that is definitely struggling though.

I think some people forget just how bad those Trey Brown offenses were. I referenced the 7-0 Yale win from 6 or 7 years ago today. There were some brutal games during that stretch where the offense would do nothing. Dave K’s defense helped keep many of those scores respectable.

There’s no doubt that Coen is the Mack Brown of the PL. I think he’s a good guy and a good face of the program but success is very much dependent upon his coordinators. There’s very few CEO (hands off on game day) type head coaches that succeed anymore it seems.

holyloch61
    Participant

DocQb Well said and I would agree with all you wrote It looked like the Yale players knew every play that Lehigh was GOING TO RUN .There D linemen were in the backfield faster than our O could run the play .There are no trick plays or any kind of imagination in the play calling on O .There is no energy on the field or on the sidelines . It looks like the players are just going thru the motions and do not really care .Is this the players fault or no motivation from the coaching staff .To win MAYBE 2 more games this year will be really hard to do for this team ,unless there is a major shift in play calling and on the D .I thought the Lehigh O line played there worst game of the year .

Neighbor
    Participant

Again, this is 90% a coaching/athletic director/school administration problem. The football program at Lehigh is being allowed to die on the vine.

I’m certain the players are executing the best they can. But, here’s the key . . . .
    they are following directions. They are participating in someone else’s design for winning. They are feeding off the emotion and drive of those who manage them, and the community atmosphere that surrounds them.

It ain’t working!

Let this coaching group finish out the season, then clean house. It’s failed miserably. This once proud program MUST be given a clean slate. That includes stadium upgrades, different uniforms, local publicity and mores serious marketing, particularly to students who have rejected the way they have been treated. The program can be returned to ‘national FCS’ status within 2 years.

These days, ‘same old, same old’ doesn’t work. Too many other ways to spend one’s time.

Sorry, but Lehigh administration dug this hole, it’s for the administration to create a way out. Stop making excuses and go to work!

By the way, been attending games for 55 years. THIS sucks!

van
    van
    Participant

I was able to attend the game and was shocked that our O was so anemic. Yale tried to give us this game and the D, which we all know is our Achilles heal, actually held up enough that we should have won with a decent O.

on item I have noted before watching on TV, Shaf throws so many passes behind receivers, I did not count, but I am sure there were at least 10 of his throws that were behind the receivers, surely this is something that should be corrected by a guy with his # of reps

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.