Yale

This topic contains 108 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

NJLehighFan:

I’d like to see how many of these football players are really getting 2300 on their SATs. Based on their majors and colleges– and the university average — my guess is they’re somewhat lower.

(Our football team is far from all engineers; another thread has an analysis of majors)

I’m not aware of too many academic merit schollies at LU.

The bulk of aid is for financial need. That’s where the PL (and Ivies) have a problem compared with state schools that have lower tuition.

If your family is making $125k a year and your kid gets a half-schollie (say $25k), you’re still looking at forking out $15k to $20k a year at least, I’d guess, even with financial aid (including loans, which come first). The real cost of sending your kid to college far exceeds tuition, room and board, etc.

And if you’re from more than a few hours away, you’re looking at added expenses for getting home. Many parents of athletes have been to every game their kid has played, and those expenses add up.

objective observer
    Participant

YOUR ANALYSIS IS FLAWED OF SATs SCORES

DO YOU REALLY THINK the PROFESSORs would pass these students because they are on football?

That’s an insult to the players and their families

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

[quote=22511]YOUR ANALYSIS IS FLAWED OF SATs SCORES

DO YOU REALLY THINK the PROFESSORs would pass these students because they are on football?

That’s an insult to the players and their families

[/quote]

There is no mixing of athletic scholarships and grant-in-aid. Under the PL rules, grants based on need cannot be used for athletics.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not quite. Need grants are permissible per PL rule for athletics. The caveat is that they count against the schollie cap of 60 for football Teams are allowed 3 true WOs over and above PL caps. Need or academic merit aid for thosd WOs does not count vs the schollie cap.

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.