Yale

This topic contains 80 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by van van 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Mish
    Guess it is a tired ldg much like pitchers suffer with arms.
    Interesting comparison today.
    We went out 35-7 and then relaxed letting Yale get back in the game. Then ee shut them down
    Gate did much the same roaring out to big lead then relaxing. The but is they were done for the day.
    Surprised Gate looked to have a pretty solid D.

TMH
    Participant

Don’t worry about Mish. There was a 17 mph wind at the Yale Bowl today and almost all of Ed’s punts were in the 2nd and 3rd qtr when Lehigh was going into the wind. Listening to the announcers, they were pretty impressed that his kicks traveled as far as they did.
    Mish attempted 2 FGS this year. He missed the one at Villanova but the once vs Princeton was blocked.
    He’ll be fine, he was averaging over 40 yd/punt over the 1st 3 games.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

McCloskey out today Gies at SS. Hopefully we get the finged guys back and Jones out of the hospital.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Barring some surprises next week, Gate should eat up our D, and we likely won’t have Jones and (at least in first half) Johnson. We gave up 35 and 363 yards to a shaky O. Colgate’s O will be among best we face — 399 yards in air this week.

I feel awful for Jones — he looked really banged up — and Johnson, who was ejected. Their head-first tackling efforts were among several costly mistakes on D. Special teams showed lots of holes, too — from poor coverage to the block-in-the back penalty on Butler.

I must single out freshman DB Marquis Wilson. He sprinted to cover a kickoff and got blocked, I think near the YC 10. The Yale returner made it close to midfield before getting caught by Wilson, who got off the block and sprinted about 40 yards back to catch the return man.

And after seeing Harvey play today — almost two INTs, a TFL and sack — I have to wonder why he played to sparingly his first three years.

The good news is Mayes and the receivers were on fire (duh!). None of us have ever seen this stuff from of our legendary QBs. Our dinged up O line had some challenges; we averaged only 2.8 yards per carry.

This team definitely has the ability to win out — and make a decent playoff run — barring mistakes at the wrong time. But we’re all human and mistakes happen. Hopefully their discipline and fitness will shine through next week.

I love that Gate has to prepare for two completely different QBs. Great move today by the coaching staff letting Mayes get a crack against a weaker OOC team and giving Shaf a week to recover.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by sundayamqb sundayamqb.

TMH
    Participant

I thought I saw Sam with a huge ice pack on his shoulder during the week. Another week should make a big difference. My prayers to Q for a complete recovery. The head is nothing to fool around with.

TMH
    Participant

I wondered how much Yale practiced for Mayes this week. It’s not like he and Shaf are clones.

TMH
    Participant

Here is an interesting stat
    In this Yale game Lehigh had 16 possessions scoring 9 TDs, punting 5 times, 1 on downs and the half expiring. By contrast we only had 9 possession in the Monmouth game.

As for Yale they also had 16 possessions but one was a punt return for a TD. Out of the 15 possessions our defense was on the field.they scored 4 times, punted 7 times were intercepted twice, were stopped on downs once and the game ended with their possession. In those terms, the defense held up pretty well IMHO.

van
    van
    Participant

agree that the D had a pretty good day given the # of possesions Yale had, some shoddy tackling which lead to some long runs that was troubling to see

LehighGuy
    Participant

Glad we won, great offensively display. You guys sugarcoating our defensive play is laughable. Yales O is horrible and a third string QB, rb ran for 150, we gave up 28 points. the punt team is basically starters from D. If O has a bad day we lose, like first 2 games. Sad we put so much pressure on them to have to score 40 plus a game. Congrats D.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Our D still gives up too many big plays. Three more on Sat. To be fair ST gave up one of those.Clear we miss Howard.
    Salter had 151 yds mostly on 3 plays. Upside he had 233 last yr :)
    Mish was off at Yale dome due to the headwind but he also had a 19 yd shank.
    OL was good even without Duffy. Yale stuffed the box all game . They never really adapted to Mayes instead of Shaf nor to the ease we had in scoring via the air.
    Understand Andy stopping air game in 4th but wish he had not.

Lehigh74
    Participant

[quote quote=28501]They never really adapted to Mayes instead of Shaf nor to the ease we had in scoring via the air.
    Understand Andy stopping air game in 4th but wish he had not.[/quote]

Rich, not sure I understand your thought process. I think Coen did the right thing. If he had kept his foot on the gas we might have scored 80 points. Why would you want to embarrass an opponent like that? Don’t remember seeing Nana. Does anyone know if he is hurt?

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Lehigh74.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont disagrer. As I said I get not pushing in 4th. Dont like running up scores. After last game up there,I would not have minded another score by 3rd string QB running our regular O with the subs.

Anonymous

Yales defense was a borderline high school jv defense. its hard to believe that that defense is considered d1 ivy league. the entire team, cheerleaders, band and mascot should be fired!!!lets not give too much value to this game either on o or d. i feel i just watched a high school game. that was awful football by yale. congrats to lehigh on winning. great job.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Doesn’t matter salter had those yards on mostly 3 plays, that doesn’t make it better. Fact is it had them. Yale might not win a game this yr n from what I saw. Like I stated, that ST td was basically on our starters on D. Maybe they were tired. Heres a thought, how about using some second string fresh D players on ST like rest of the country. Give those kids something to be excited about, I’m sure they want to make plays as well. Hope #2 is ok, shame on our coaches leaving the starters out there n risking injury with game in hand with Colgate up next. Bad coaching. That was perfect game to get 2nd string players some snaps n experience. Coaches missed the boat on how to use kids n keep them excited to play.

van
    van
    Participant

Nana had at least one carry, used the senior Crawford in clean up time

quite a few second string guys got snaps, when Q got hurt there was still a fair amount of time left in game especially considering how quick some of the scores were coming

agree on Yale pass D, pretty dreadful, however their front 7 played pretty strong

gotta give a shout out to Folmar, there was some angst about him in his first year but he is calling and coaching a pretty solid game every week

if the OL had come to play in week one we might be getting some ranking votes by now, beat gate next week and we should get some love

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.