Yipes! They did it again!

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Yipes! They did it again!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

And on national TV. Nowhere near a perfect game, but remarkable cool and precision when it was needed. Another great team win.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Did anyone doubt this one? As the LU alum I watched the game with said in the first half: The good news was that PU was playing about as well as it could. Lehigh still had room to improve — even with missing so many key players.

Kudos to team, coaches — amazing all-around effort. I was surprised to see BB set completion record, given some of the amazing games in the past.

Lots of guys stepped up today! Fun to watch, at least in second half.

Next week might prove a tad bit more challenging.

Hope they keep it close so anything can happen at end. What great character they have!

toddcudd
    Participant

1.) Run defense is HORRIBLE. Fortunately, PU went to the pass in 2nd half.
    2.) No LU RB should ever touch the football if their name isn’t Keith Sherman. He was productive, and looks promising.
    3.) Frosh K is ridiculously over-rated. Good kickoffs, generally, but lousy place-kicker. Can’t hit the broad side of a barn. No, we did not steal a FBS kicker.
    4.) Defense is as horrible as advertised. Absolutely cannot stop the run, and some HORRENDOUS blown coverages. A few nice individual efforts in coverage, anyway.
    5.) Nice passer, and Kurfis is for real.
    6.) Soto is not tall enough to get big minutes at this level. Sorry.

toddcudd
    Participant

P.S. If somebody doesn’t teach #7 Jamil Robinson how to wrap up, he shouldn’t ever play again. At least 2 VERY obvious attempts to knock somebody down with his shoulder, and no attempt to actually tackle. Horrible.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Well Jamil will get the chance to learn. Fun game and I think I’ll put my cardiologists kids thru college soon.

One other bonus ,one of our top LB recruits Fossatti was visiting Princeton this weekend and got to see our grit. His brother was a solid FB for us.

van
    van
    Participant

have to disagree on the frosh kicker, give him a chance to get his confidence up a little, he will be very good.

Just think what BB’s numbers would be if he could throw the bubble screen with accuracy?

agree on Sherman, but need a change of pace with some speed also

how do the coaches get the D to toughen up?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Pandy will be OK.Super leg topped with a frosh brain. Time.
    Nitpicking a bit on BB. He is very accurate and makes great reads. 2 or 3 overthrows,otherwise he was on target. We can catch. Parris had only drop I recall. OL patchwork settled in after tough 1st period.D a work in progress. DL very athletic but not geared to stopping run.I remind myself that they will grow but hard to watch. Theoretically we should have a good pass rush. We dont yet. A very vanilla D which seemingly relies on O to outscore opponent.Next 2 weeks will be a challenge

TMH
    Participant

I attended the CCSU and Princeton games. Here are my uneducated observations.
    1.)People need to start jumping on the BB bandwagon. He is a left handed Chris Lum clone yet all I hear is how we should be bringing Shafnisky in. Consider this:

Chris Lum Senior season
    In 13 games, he completed 358 of 543 passes or 65.9% for 4,378 yards 32 TDs and 17 picks

Extrapolate BB’s performances for 13 games
    364 for 542 or 67.2% for 5,074 yards 39 TDs and 17 picks

Like Lum, he doesn’t have superior arm strength or Clovin type running ability but has shown nice scrambling, is accurate and read defenses very well.

I really like this young man.

On a related note:
    Ryan Spadola junior year stats
    In 12 games 96 catches for 1,614 yards and 11 TDs

Extrapolated Lee Kurfis for 12 games (just for fun)
    120 catches for 2,340 yards and 16 TDs

I know, still a lot of football to play but 2 pretty good reasons to be excited about Lehigh football, in addition to 3-0.

2.)Pandy will be fine over time.Kicking is such a mental game. Mark Mosely won the NFL MVP one year ans stank the next. David Akers and Mason Crosby recently followed up phenomenal years with terrible ones. I suspect that by the time he graduates, he will be considered one of our all time best. He’s only 18.

3.)We tend to play extremely well late in the game when coming from behind. The players haven’t changed. Perhaps the defenses have to some extent. The difference for me is play calling, both offensively and defensively. We tend to spend 3/4 of the game trying to establish a run and passing horizontally. We move the ball but often break down before scoring. It is only in the 4th quarter where we really begin our vertical game. I would like to see us use the pass to establish the run rather than the reverse.
    Defensively, we play well off the receiver for 3 qtrs. CCSU and especially Princeton exploited it consistently by throwing underneath and then using an off receiver to block. We tend to tighten up our coverages only late in the game when we need the ball back in a hurry.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nice TMh. A bit disingenuous for Andy to remark on teams inability to play with intensity in 1st half, when coaches scheme that softness. As BB noted after game,Dave calls a vanilla O until “necessary ” to open up playbook. DCs follow similar scheme with soft CB coverage and straight up front 7. Would be ideal if we could win that way but we are not big,athletic or experienced enuf to do that. Once we got more aggressive mid 3rd D was much better. Likewise on O all runs and short passes 1st half,no challenge to Tiger D.BB became a sitting target. Just saying a bit more variation on both O and D in 1st half will be beneficial

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I like TMH’s assessment.

BTW: Shafnisky is in every game, as holder, providing a freshman-freshman connection there. No, we do not have a BCS-level kicking game yet, but at least our kickoffs are at a high FCS level (except the last one last night). Pandy has more raw power than most LU kickers have had; he needs confidence, experience and maybe an off-season series of visits to a sports psychologist.

Question: Has anyone watched closely just how good the snaps and holds have been?

I’m a little concerned about the DL — no brutal guys like in years past, except possibly Newton — the LBs are a little small (but seem to be very athletic and football savvy) and I cringe watching some of the CB play against relatively weak competition.

But they have stepped up when it counts, which is what matters.

Speaking of undersized LBs: Take, for example, junior Isaiah Campbell (5-10, 190) — who closed out the games against CCSU and PU with a pass breakup and INT.

Loved seeing BB’s long first-down run the other day, and his spin out move from what could have been a critical sack on one of the late drives. Amazing he’s really played QB in only three games.

Should BB have started last year?

Hopefully LU can get a blowout game one of these days (Columbia, Georgetown, Bucknell??) and the other QBs can get some reps to help prepare them for next year.

van
    van
    Participant

I would not worry one second about the O, if the D ever gets it together, we will be a serious contender in the playoffs.

the way the league is playing, we should be favored to win the auto bid, Colgate in the tank, Hoyas back to old selves, Crossers up and down, Bucknell with no O, and Easton Jr College, well no need to discuss them

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Van, you’re pretty much on target. That said, gotta watch against injuries, particularly next week.

I watched the Fordham-Temple game and the Rams DO have a lot of talent. They’re not unbeatable, but you can’t underestimate them. Should be a great game.

Same goes for Colgate. Looks like they have no D — not unusual — but their O cannot be underestimated.

And, as we’ve seen, what looks right on paper has to be borne out on the field by limiting mistakes, bad breaks, bad tackles, bad bounces/tips/blocks etc.

van
    van
    Participant

watched some of the Colgate game, looked to me like McC was only about 75%, noticable limp and not sharp with passes. He is a difference maker and Gate going nowhere without him on all cylinders.

Also, watched some of the game again thanks to DVR. don’t agree that play calling the problem in the 1st quarter, drop by Paris, miss-read on zone read play by BB, over throw by BB, missed FG were the issues. Execute those plays properly it is a whole different game

TMH
    Participant

van,
    I agree about the miscues. If we executed perfectly, we may be unstoppable. That holds true with virtually every team though. My problem with so much horizontal passing is that it makes it difficult to overcome imperfections. We face too many third and longs.I don’t want to abandon that part of our offense by any stretch. We simply appear to move the ball far more efficiently when we throw the ball down the field rather than across it.

van
    van
    Participant

Well, here is some data to think about, 4 TDs in second half.

Drive #1 – longest pass was to Sherman, screen pass as I recall

Drive #2 – longest pass was 15 yards to Hayden, swing pass as I recall

Drive #3 – 48 yard pass to Paris, nifty roll out with Paris wide open and good YAC

Drive #4 – longest pass was 10 yards to Kurfis

4 TD drives in a half with only one long pass completion, execute like that in first half and the game is not close

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.