Yuck…..

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Yuck…..

This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Historian 14 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

JJH
    Participant

That was one of the worst afternoons for the LU offense that I have seen in 35-40 years. It doesn’t seem to matter who is at QB. I know the weather conditions were tough, by why keep trying to throw long passes into the wind on second down?
    Coach Cool….err…Coen needs to evaluate his offensive coaching staff ASAP.
    There were two trick plays of note in the game.
    The first was Yale’s intentional delay of game, ostensibly designed to give the kicker more room. The folloowing fake punt worked to perfection. Although the runner seemed to be caught at the line of scrimmage, stuff sometimes happens.
    The other was that hook and lateral play by LU in the waning minutes of the game. Did they ever practice that during the week? If it worked, it could have resulted in big yardage. I’m not being critical of trying a trick play at that point in the game, but there should be a reasonable expectation that it will work! JJH

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

"JJH" wrote: That was one of the worst afternoons for the LU offense that I have seen in 35-40 years. It doesn’t seem to matter who is at QB. I know the weather conditions were tough, by why keep trying to throw long passes into the wind on second down?
    Coach Cool….err…Coen needs to evaluate his offensive coaching staff ASAP.
    There were two trick plays of note in the game.
    The first was Yale’s intentional delay of game, ostensibly designed to give the kicker more room. The folloowing fake punt worked to perfection. Although the runner seemed to be caught at the line of scrimmage, stuff sometimes happens.
    The other was that hook and lateral play by LU in the waning minutes of the game. Did they ever practice that during the week? If it worked, it could have resulted in big yardage. I’m not being critical of trying a trick play at that point in the game, but there should be a reasonable expectation that it will work! JJH

Wasn’t even needed at that point. We had just accomplished a first down on a pass for good momentum..No need to be trcky at that point. Why panic when we still had 2 minutes left?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Dont really have a problem with the HooknLadder call, if Gordon isn’t hit just as he released ball, big yardage. Yale went man to man a lot but also played a lot cover2 zone. I dont think our OC can tell the difference . Lots of space over the middle in Yale zone.Did we ever see a throw to theTE on a drag over the middle or anywhere else for that matter. Sheeeet, we could do this forever. Nitpicking this offensive fiasco is just to frustrating.

Losing is bad but as Coen will find out missed expectations are much worse. Even a win over Lafayette will not save his job.

lu90
    Participant

Forget the worst Lehigh game in the last 35-40 years, that may have been the most unwatchable football game I ever saw. When they didn’t pick up and run with that blocked FG I knew our last chance to score had passed.

Why not go to the wishbone option with Colvin, Barkett, Walker. After watching the past 6 weeks, I don’t think anything should be taken off the table.

I go back and forth on the hook and ladder call. It probably did surprise everyone, including the announcers. A trait that is the polar opposite of what this staff has yet to accomplish. We would of had the ball at the 35-40 after that completion, what evidence did/have we shown that a march to the end zone would have been obtainable? On the other hand, that play is usually used when your back is to the wall. 1st and 10 on Yale’s 40 with 1:50 to go isn’t necessarily "backs to the wall".

JJH
    Participant

lu90, you obviously didn’t sit through the Cooley years. That was as bad as I’ve seen. At least today we had good defense.
    I wasn’t there, but I suspect some of the teams my father (L’27) played on might have been worse. I think they won a grand total of one or two games while he was there, and he never played on a team that beat Laughayette. JJH

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

So, best case, Coen has taken this program back 40 some years, worst case 80 some years. :shock:

Double yuck!

The real problem is that a perrenial 1-AA Top 25 team has now become a P.L. and FCS bottom feeder. First time since becoming a member of the P.L., Lehigh has lost all of its non conference games. First shutout since 1986. Clearly, the worst team in my lifetime.

Anyone notice that Andy is not exactly a standup guy. Brief TV interview at half and no post game interview. Wonder if he talked to the radio guys after the game. Probably didn’t want to try to explain the offensive (works with either definition) performance.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Basically he praised the defense and blamed the offensive woes on mistakes by young guys . Geez, Andy yuh think 6 games in and still mistakes on offense may have just a lttlebit to do with those coaching the players and callin g the plays :roll: . I could see mistakes also. What I cannot see is any improvement and elimination of mistakes. To paraphrase It is a poor coach that blames all on his players. Season more than 1/2 over and only 1 adequate offensive game ( vs team more dreadful than us).

I would like to know what these coaches do all week? :cry:

I would love to see him fix the mistakes but that has to start with his coaches, who have been unable to fix sh*t so far.

JJH
    Participant

Agreed. When you have five games that are winnable, you should be able to win more than one. And this is a pattern that goes back a couple of years, and it’s only gotten worse this year. JJH

Jackson
    Participant

Listened to the post game on the radio. That was all I could handle !
    Andy is going to watch the tape again !!!!!!! Expected that. Now has a QB contraversy. Holy Cow,… I thought I saw everything. It just gets more comical, and more frustrating to the diehards every week.
    I really think Andy is in way over his head. If you can’t make the right adjustments (mainly game coaching decisions and staff capabilities) in 3+years, how can you do it in the last 5 games ? He is being as positive and politically correct as he can, by saying our goals are still attainable (as coaches must be), but we all know we don’t have a snowballs chance in hell to win the league. We can’t even score ! I haven’t seen anything I liked this year, other than the band seemed to have improved. It’s now the focal point of Lehigh Football.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

"It’s now the focal point of Lehigh Football"

There is one? At this point the program is in a tailspin and the only ‘focal point’ is the target on the ground. The great ‘tradition’ of Lehigh football that Coen has made his mantra is being trashed and becoming a distant memory. The AD has to do something before this spins further out of control. The OC must go at the very least, and if they have to leave him on staff for contractural purposes, then demote him and let someone else take the reins. Whoever it is, they can’t screw this up any worse.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Brown sort of reminds me of a reputed chess master ,great at schemes and moves but who somehow forgot to teach his pieces the moves to accomplish those schemes and grand ideas.

lu90
    Participant

"JJH" wrote: lu90, you obviously didn’t sit through the Cooley years. That was as bad as I’ve seen. At least today we had good defense.
    I wasn’t there, but I suspect some of the teams my father (L’27) played on might have been worse. I think they won a grand total of one or two games while he was there, and he never played on a team that beat Laughayette. JJH

No I did not sit through the Cooley era. As a matter of fact I don’t think my father had met my mother yet. But if it is comparable to the Coen era, I sympathize for you having to go through it twice.

Historian
    Participant

Cooley’s last team in 1964 managed to score 47 points in nine games and lost 54-0 to Yale. I think Yale could have scored 100 if they wanted to. The offense that year was worse than the one this year.

That was the year of the 100th game that ended in a 6-6 tie. It was not one of the classic meetings in the rivalry.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.