'16-'17 Hoops Predictions

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball '16-'17 Hoops Predictions

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

We have the schedule now, and the other thread started some discussion on the starting 5.

I think we start Holba or one of the freshman at the 4. I don’t see BA having a desire, nor the size to effectively play a small ball 4. My guess is we open with KR, KL, AP, MH, and TK. With Alston, Andree, and Cohen the first options off the bench.

Any other predictions? Wins? Most improved?

lehigh90
    Participant

I’m just going to focus on the non-conference portion of the schedule.

I think we, unfortunately, start the season 0-6. I think we have a shot in 5 of the games, not @ Xavier. But, heavy lift to win any of the road games, and Princeton will be really good, and tough at Stabler. So, I see 0-6.

Then, I see a complete reversal, and we win the next 5, and close out the OOC at 5-6. Anything worse than 5-6 is a disappointment. I think if we play really well, we could get as good as 7-4, and could steal a couple early games. But, I’m happy with anything over .500 in the OOC. Really happy at 7-4 and thrilled at 8 or higher. Like I said earlier, the only game where I would say we are completely outclassed is the opener.

This is a team that basically ran the table in the PL in the second half of last season. So, I’m hoping that carries over into this season. I think the 4th and 5th starters will be KL and BA to start. I think MH gets worked in and potentially starts later in the OOC schedule (BA sliding to a 6th man role). As I said earlier, DC getting a starting spot would not shock me, but we already have senior leadership in the starting lineup, and a lot of veterans.

Most improved, I think is going to be BA. I think the year of being away and watching will be really helpful. I think we will see real improvement from KR and KL as well, and those guys could elevate to premier PL players. BA needs to learn to defend and be a complementary player in this lineup, which has a lot of scoring.

I’m really positive going in this year. Just one major concern for me. Finding some big men (at least 2) to give us steady minutes in a backup role. Definitely not to score the ball, but to defend in the paint, rebound and take up some fouls. If we get 30+ minutes out of TK, we will need a couple bigs to play 10-15 a night. But, I expect us to run pretty small, most of the season. My big fear, is any injury to TK, where he misses significant action. He has been injury free to date, but we saw what happened to CJM in his senior year, when we expected to have a top notch team. Fingers crossed on health.

TMH
    Participant

I’m with StablerBum with regard to the starting lineup unless Doc wants to really go small (not recommended against Xavier). BA is listed as a guard, has only ever played guard and has shown nor real propensity to rebound or post up in his one year here. Unless Holba’s foot is still aching, (I’ve heard nothing), I think he plays the #4. BA should get a lot of minutes in the 3 guard rotation. Just my opinion.
    This team IMHO has the ability to surprise early if they remain healthy.

lehigh90
    Participant

Reed hasn’t started too many freshman. I realize MH is a sophomore, and has been around for a year, but has never played a college game. Even CJM was not a day one starter. But, some bigs certainly were, like GK and TK. I hope MH is developed enough to be a day one starter. Would like his frame on the floor with TK up front.

I guess Shane Whitfield would probably be our starting 4 man, if he stuck around.

TMH
    Participant

Actually Reed has not been averse to starting freshmen at all. I believe Doc was simply sending a message to CJ. From our projected starting lineup this year, TK, KR and AP all started from Day 1, I believe and they were all true freshmen. From my conversation with Doc in spring, he is really high on Holba and Andree. I would not be surprised to see the latter get a lot of PT especially to generate scoring off the bench. IMHO, BA will be the 1st guard off the bench and will push KL hard for minutes and hopefully replace AP in games where he just doesn’t have it. I’m anxious to see what JC2 will provide esp spelling KR to keep him fresh. I think he may be the kind of kid who just gets better as he gets the feel for the college game. Just my opinion.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Think SB has the right mix for starters. BA first off bench. DC will get mins here also. Up front Andree and Lieb. Guess Lieb and CS will spell TK. Think we are set at both Gs with KR AP and KL. BA JC and DC backing.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Since I know the lest I’ll take a shot. 7-4 looks very doable. Ark St. Yale and Princeton? Very tough but I think we could get 1 at least remembering that we are also very good.

toddcudd
    Participant

Scary number of the day: 0

As in, the total combined minutes of front-court experience among players not named Tim Kempton. Ouch.

I completely get the point that BA has not played the 4, nor shown us post play or a nose for boards. But the staff may feel that they don’t have much choice. I hope that’s not true – I hope we have a few new bigs who are ready to contribute immediately. But if not, we may be looking at a whole-new level of “small ball”.

A bit of consolation on that point: JC started at the 4 full time last year, while we played 3 guards with him. Don’t think we ever really saw paint play become a big part of his game either. However – and this may be the key – he could defend a legit 4, and do it well. That is the biggest concern right now, for me.

TMH
    Participant

Todd,
    It doesn’t scare me at all. In fact it makes me more excited than ever for the season to start.
    1.)The one returning post player is pretty darn good, in fact the best in the entire league.
    2.)Holba and Andree may be two of the highest rated big men we recruited in a long, long time. Both were conceivably in the top 5 players in their respective states. Doc has had some pretty good success with guys like McCollum, Knudsen, Kempton, Ross and Price during their first year.
    3.)This may be the deepest front court in quite some time. I’m not sure what we’ll get from Sedore and Lieb but they both have legitimate size for the PL and I’m guessing can provide quality minutes.
    Again, just my opinion.

lehigh90
    Participant

Todd, I think you are 100% correct in your post. We are hoping, but we have no clue what we have in frontcourt, outside of TK. We know BA is a player, from what we saw 2 years ago. He’s a guard, but they may be forced to start there and go small. The other guys, who knows. I’m not sure many of them can give us quality minutes, and I think many of them are probably projects. I would put CS, JW and JL in the project category. They have length, but not sure if they are progressed enough at the point in their careers to be reliable contributors. Hoping for contributions, but 1 is a walk-on, so he probably gives us nothing.

To call PA a big man is a real reach. He’s tall, but not a big man. In high school, he was a primarily a perimeter shooter, not a traditional big man. He was more like JC, without the body, spending a great deal of time outside the arc. He is very good shooter, but didn’t show “big man” skills, defending the post, shot blocking and rebounding.

I think MH is our best hope of the bunch up front to be a factor. But, again, hard to access a guy you have only seen in street clothes and a boot. For this team to be good, he needs to be solid and play significant minutes.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Again. Not sure why this program does not target more 4-5s. I don’t get it. We have 123 guys that can play guard but very select and not developed kids at the bigs.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Oh we recruit bigs travis. As do all PL teams. At the mud major level top bigs are rare and even scarcer in the PL. Most tall recruits are for one reason or another flawed or a hopeful project.

TMH
    Participant

Interesting piece of trivia.
    The 1983 Notre Dame basketball team coached by Digger phelps featured John Paxson. Also playing on that team were a pair of kids named Tim Kempton and Tim Andree. In this case Andree was the snior and was drafted in the 5th round by the Chicago Bulls. Kempton was the freshman and was later drafted in the 6th round by the LA Clippers.

I’m not understanding this debate but that’s OK. When Chuku arrived on campus and had to sit his firat year, the excitement was palpable to have him on the court. Holba who is far more decorated makes his debut after sitting a year and people are afraid. Perhaps it’s the injury but then again, BA is also coming off an injury, has only played guard and people think that a lineup with only one guy over 6-5 is preferable.
    Price arrives on campus after scoring 10 ppg in HS and people can’t wait to see what kind of offense he will bring to Lehigh. Andree, considered by many to be the best shooter in NJ arrives and their are doubts to what he can contribute. BTW Andree and Chuku are both 6-8, 225# and the former did average 10 rpg over the last 2 seasons in HS so he’s not allergic to the basket although he may be a work in progress there.

I, however, am really looking forward to this season. This team has a really good mixture of seasoned veterans and highly ranked youth.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree TMH. 6’10 stars are rare for PL TK and Muscala only 2 ICR. We’ve done pretty well otherwise with Z Gabe and Holden. MH may be the highest rated front court recruit LU has ever had. A 6’7 F who can handle, shoot rebound and play D. Excited ladt yr, dont get not being excited now. Andree a scorer and an outside shooter. That alone makes him a plum for us to take pressure off TK. Harder to double him with either MH or PA on the court. Cs am JW may be projects. Expect CS will be able to eat some minutes for TK. Lieb a big body and athletic. Not sure where he will fit but having him is not a detriment.Lieb is also a PG and a year older.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by RichH RichH.

TMH
    Participant

Rich,
    IMHO, the biggest factor in determining how well our front court does this winter is the level of willingness to mentor these young guys not unlike his father mentored him.
    You can’t teach height and we have plenty of that. You can teach tenacity. you can teach proper technique and although positioning is many times innate, there are ways to refine that too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.