Alumni Engagement

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Nice to have you back TMH.Pretty familiar with the current programs supporting LU sports. All in all each does a good job in their specific areas. Agree they cover many of the same functions as the Bison Club and Friends of Lafayette do. Dont know whether it would be better if all were under one coordinated umbrella group. My gut feeling is it would get cumbersome.
    My feeling is that thete is untapped potential among LU alumni,particularly those from the last 20 or so years. How best to address this potential is I think what todd is driving at. Since we already have other entities in place,perhaps a separate booster organization may be the best model to pursue the task.
    BTW, saw Soccer got another commit from Vardar from twitter. Could not ID him from his twitter handle.

TMH
    Participant

The name you are looking for is Tommy Dohko from Varder

I found a few recruits in various sports today. Thought I’d post them all a bit later. On paper, the 2015 recruiting class may be the best one in a long, long time. I’d like to post some tidbits to show why and hopefully keep the optimism going into the next sports season. Winning seems to be contagious.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No one better. Thanks TMH. Tried to kerp up while you were AWOL :),but I lack your finesse with these sports.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Rich brings up some scary stuff — the relative lack of attendance by undergrads.

Reasons(?): travel (even if it’s over hill), more events on campus (women’s sports, other special-interest events, more diverse student population), more women, more students from abroad.

I think I’ve worried about this before, but what does the future hold with regard to attendance? Many attendees now are older — sure seems like they skew that way. Wonder if athletics department has done any kind of research to predict future giving, attendance trends, given the factors above and more …

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Go to most any fan board and you’ll similar issues with student attendance. All the factors you mentioned are ,I think,a part of the pattern. Dont think girl or foreign students are a major factor. We’ve bern co ed for a long time. Foreign students altho more in number are not a makor part of our student body. TV and ease of access are the biggest issues. Plus, a very large number of students now live in town. The bulk of LU social life is mow Eat Fifth St.,not the Hill. My point is that non attendance does not mean lavk of interest. Practicall all home games in every sport is televised now. Add to that the increased academic pressure with such short semesters. Nice to have a very long Christmas break but that squeezes everything else closer together. Where I could take a break and walk down to Grace for a game,it now involves catching the bus coming and going. Cant just stop in to watch a little. Costs the kid the whole night.

chipwho
    Participant

Thanks TMH for the plug on the South Side Boosters. Anyone interested check out our website lehighboosters.com 15-16 season plan on scheduling a few trips for Basketball, possibly to Navy/Army or whatever….. in fact we still have a few openings on our fall football schedule……. check it out …. and you may JUST like what you see……Supporting LEHIGH SPORTS for over 43 years and still going.

chipwho
    Participant

Yes, we have many ALUMNI in our ranks & on our bus trips. GO LEHIGH!!!

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Chip, as I work on the message board this summer to spice it up, I’ll add links to the South Side Boosters, the wrestling boosters, and the LU athletics partnership. Currently it’s on the blog but they really should be in a PROMINENT place on here.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.