Chuku

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    travism
    travism
    Participant

I don’t know about any of you guys but I think we need to see a lot more consistency out of chuku. It annoys me at times he is the second or third biggest guy on court and never goes down low. On offense or defense. If you closely watch him he hangs out at three point Line and often jacks up dumb shots. Is he capable of playing any at the four. We need him to start making an effort to try and grab some boards. And move around a little bit on offense.

Also do u guys think sedore will play at all. Outside goldy and Timmy who will be down low

TMH
    Participant

This has also been a pet peeve of mine. I attended the game vs Sacred Heart when TK got in early foul trouble. JC assumed the post and was a monster. I was really looking forward to seeing him assume that role since IMO, he absolutely has the body to play it.

travism
    travism
    Participant

I’m a season ticket holder. Sit right behind the pa announcer. Chuku frustrates me every game

LU15
    Participant

He needs to be a much bigger presence inside. On defense he’s great, terrific shot blocker!

lehigh90
    Participant

Unfortunately, JC’s game has not really progressed to where we wanted it to go. This goes back to his high school stats and video, where he was primarily a 3 point shooter in HS. He still is way too reliant on the 3 ball and playing out on the perimeter. We all love his physical gifts, but he doesn’t get much out of them, 18 feet away from the basket. Plus, he is not really a good 3 point shooter. He’s way down the pecking order of guys on the roster, who you would want to shoot from the 3 point line. I don’t really see any development in his game off of the dribble from the wing. He’s more of a catch and shoot player than a driver/penetrator. At this point in his career (missing a full season, then playing last two), I think best we can hope for him is an average of about 8/6 in points and rebounds. I don’t really like him in a high screen and roll game (hasn’t shown ability to do that), and he is not really a pick and pop type shooter. I think TK is better suited in the high screen and roll game than JC. I think at this point he’s a guy who hangs around the high post and can get you a few baskets a game off the offensive board. At his size he is a big post body, and can rebound and block a shot. But, until he buys into a role as a low post defender/rebounder and somebody active on the offensive board, I’m not sure we are going to see much more from him in his last season. He’s probably not as well suited for that role as say a JG, but he needs to be way more active. To me, he’s always been a 4, who wants to play like a 2. The compromise would be as a 3, but I don’t think he has the game out there, either shooting it, or off the dribble. He’s been a bit of a career disappointment in what we thought we had when we signed him. Hopefully, he makes a large step forward this season. He could make a really physical front court group with TK and JG.
    In regards to Sedore, I don’t think he makes an impact this season. He is going to be very raw, and has never really seen this level of competition. He may be forced into some minutes, as this team is thin up front in numbers, but I think he is going to struggle with athleticism at this level. My guess is if he plays at all, he will really struggle to defend and find himself in immediate foul trouble.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

“In regards to Sedore, I don’t think he makes an impact this season. He is going to be very raw, and has never really seen this level of competition. He may be forced into some minutes, as this team is thin up front in numbers….”

The above is right as is the other commentary about Chuku. In the face of this, one wonders why there has been such emphasis on recruiting so many guards in recent times vs having at least one other post player.

van
    van
    Participant

understand all the frustration about recruiting post players but with TK showing his ability right from the start it would be pretty hard to get a “ready to play” big man to commit, now next year that is a different story

TMH
    Participant

1.)Chuku…I think lehigh90 nailed it with this line

“At his size he is a big post body, and can rebound and block a shot. But, until he buys into a role as a low post defender/rebounder and somebody active on the offensive board, I’m not sure we are going to see much more from him in his last season”. We can only hope that this is the year. There won’t be another.

2.)I also think that CS’s development will be directly related to TK’s willingness to take him under his wing and teach him everything he knows. IMHO, TK is not a superior athlete but he is a very good basketball player because he was taught well and he gives 100% at all times. Frankly, CS has TK type size but is raw, and I’m not sure that there is anyone on this staff that can be as impactful as TK.

3.)I’m not quite buying the philosophy that game ready big men are shying away because of TK. They may shy away because there is a very limited supply of them and everybody wants one. Next year, there will be plenty of space for 2 big men on the court and Lamarcus Aldridge was attracted to the Mavs because he could play along side Duncan for 1 year and then be the man.

This is all just my opinion.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

In my opinion if JC is not more active around the basket, particularly in the rebounding department, his minutes will be reduced dramatically. Even more so if Holba is as advertised. No sense giving him minutes as a senior. The developmental portion of his college career is over.

LU65
    Participant

“The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”
    Mark Twain

I think – or should I say I hope – this applies to our 6’7”/225lb senior forward/psychology major from London, England who has but one year left to enjoy the fruits of his labor and quiet those who have their doubts about his play which, by the way, has included me at times. After sitting out his first year, Jesse hasn’t missed a game (62 straight) and has shown flashes of brilliance – often times when the lights shine their brightest, e.g., Villanova, DePaul, and Arizona State. I know the adage about fitting a square peg in a round hole, but I’m betting on (1) Jesse’s desire/work ethics and (2) the coaching staff’s abilities to get the most out of ones talents to make believers out of all of us a year from now. I’m not saying JC will start against Syracuse or lead the team in rebounds or be a double-digit scorer, but then again, I wouldn’t rule out any of those from happening either. As mentioned above, just how daunting are the prospects of him playing alongside TK and JG?! And, it could happen with some regularity this season.
    For those who may have forgotten what Jesse has gone thru to get to where he is today, I give you……

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/thebrownandwhitesports/index.ssf/2014/01/lehigh_basketball_star_jesse_c.html

Some fun and perhaps surprising facts to keep in mind:

JC’s 3pt. FG% of .354 is certainly not great but it wasn’t the lowest among those players returning to the court this year. Surprise…surprise, that distinction belongs to no one other than KR @ .324. I ruled out those players with fewer than 8 3FG attempts in the study. And, when it comes to overall shooting (this time ruling out those with few than 17 attempts), JC’s .432 tops KR’s .399 and BA’s .380. He trails only AP @ .433, TK @.499 and JG @ .581.

van
    van
    Participant

shooting % numbers are telling, BA needs to get his higher or his minutes are going down I think

lehigh90
    Participant

I think my numbers are accurate on this, but this, to me, is the problem with JC’s game …

He shot the ball, 148 times last season, and 79 of those attempts were from 3. That means, he is taking 53.4% of his shots from 3 point range. This is flat out ridiculous, in my opinion.

He shot 64-148 overall (43.2%) and 28-79 from 3 (35.4%). If you remove all of his 3 point attempts, he shot 36 for 69 from 2 point range, or a very respectable 52.2%. At his size, playing in the proper spot on the floor, he should shoot over 50% from the field, and he does. This is not quite as efficient as JG, but more efficient than TK.

Finally, he played 30 games last season, and had 28 FT attempts for the entire season! He is averaging less than 1 FT per game, which, again, is ridiculous. To make matters even worse, he shot under 50% from the FT line.

Somebody needs to tell this guy, get off the 3 point line. Get yourself into the painted area and start using your physical attributes. Do the dirty work.

LU65
    Participant

No doubt about it, 90. Kick his butt inside where he’s needed most and hope he’s spending the summer at the FT line. Gotta hope the coaches see it that way, too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.