Game 2: Canisius

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 2: Canisius

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant
      Game Notes

LU’s
    We await

Canisius’
    We await

KenPom Projections

LU (0-1), PL (18th ranked)
    Rank 122
    @
    CANISIUS (0-1), MAA (20th ranked)
    Rank 159

KenPom Projection: Canisius wins by two, 71-69
    FYI, KenPom had us losing to Syracuse by 12. Pretty close, I might add.

Commentary

Canisius’ Malcom McMillan Scores 33 in 85-96 Season Opening Loss to Hofstra

Beware! We haven’t seen this guy before. After earning a medical redshirt from CCSU (played in just 2 games last year but 91 games in all, the 6’0” senior guard out of Baltimore went off in Canisius’ road opener at Hofstra. While at CCSU, he average 7.1 ppg (.344 3FG%, .408 FG%) and saw an average of 30 mpg. Coupled, we expect, with Reynolds (6’4” Sr.) in the backcourt, they bring tremendous experience to the table when coupled with 6’11” Sr. Center, Kevin Bleeker.

Story, box score, etc.

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210496789&DB_OEM_ID=20500

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20500&CONTENT_ID=1515881

http://www.gogriffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210496789&DB_OEM_ID=20500

Ugh, who said we might be able to catch our breath after the opener in Syracuse!

Reminder: Home Opener, Thursday vs. Yale

toddcudd
    Participant

Should be an interesting contrast to our first game! Either there wasn’t much D played, or they both just shot lights-out. A high % of their points came from 3s, and they drew very few fouls – not many FTs.
    Looks like the strengths will be their O vs. our D. Hopefully our O looks a little better this time.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

We all know depth is a concern, but outside shooting is a pretty big concern as well. No one aside from AP has shown much of an ability to knock down shots, and even AP is very streaky. Really need KR, KL, and maybe even DC and TJ to hit some 3’s if this team wants to reach it’s goals. Yet another area where the MS and BA losses hurt. I’ve never been wild about JC’s propensity for the 3-ball, but if not him, who else is going to shoot it and even try to space the floor?

lehigh90
    Participant

I agree Bum, outside shooting is a major concern at the moment. AP is the only guy we have who is a consistent threat.

DC not a good outside shooter, awkward left-handed shot
    KL does not have a developed jumper, yet
    KR is OK, but not great from 3
    JRG is more comfortable down on baseline or paint
    TJ doesn’t look like a great shooter

Our guards are more quicker, penetrator types, not stand still jump shooters.

I got to Syracuse game very early and watched the warm ups pretty closely. Outside of AP, JC probably was the best of the others from distance. JRG was better than expected.

On another note, I think this team has the capability to be a decent defensive team, but we are not there yet. We have some quickness on the perimeter, but we gave up a ton of uncontested looks vs. Orange. Guys wide open and no hand in the face and no close out. We were lucky that Syracuse shot it so poorly, and they are not a very good team. Just because we only gave up 57 points and held Syracuse to a low %, doesn’t mean we caused it. Outside of Malachi Richardson, who shot it OK, and got wide open looks whenever he wanted, nobody on Syracuse shot it very well. Cooney and Gbinije didn’t make a ton of 3’s, but they were wide open looks for the most part. With that huge dome and virtually open ends, it would be difficult to shoot it really well there ever, with that background.

Who on this team is a lock up defender on the perimeter? I think KL could be that guy, he has quick feet and is a very good (+) athlete. KR is quick but slight and small. AP is adequate, but not super quick laterally.

We struggled with the zone and the short shot clock, but Syracuse pretty much ran anything they wanted and got open looks within 5 or 10 seconds into the shot clock. So, I am far from convinced we are some defensive shutdown juggernaut. We rebounded well, and held them to one shot, but Syracuse was small, and Coleman was in foul trouble early. This Syracuse team is a jump shooting team. Live by the jumper, die by the jumper.

van
    van
    Participant

gonna be a long year if JRG has to play many minutes

gohawks63
    Participant

AP is a real talent – not just on the catch and shoot. Very smooth on the move with the ball and even good at press break. We ought to be running him some sets.

JRG looks way out of his depth; I hope it is just early season jitters ..

travism
    travism
    Participant

Watching Jrg last year in few mins. And esp in the game vs that pen st team, i was concerned. He doesn’t seem like a div 1 player. I knew depth would be an issue

Where is sedore. I only see holba

toddcudd
    Participant

Fouls combined with depth issues are a real problem tonight. Thought there were some pretty touchy fouls – but I think that will happen this year.
    AP looks great, and I now feel really comfortable with TJ backing up the point. Solid, confident handles coming up the court and 2 really pretty dishes. I think KL is getting up to speed and will contribute this year.
    The in-bounds vs. press were really gross. Need a few different looks for that, I think.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Game is tough to watch. Hope the refs are trying to enforce the new rules early in the season and loosen up a bit as teams begin to adjust.

Inability to rebound on the defensive end surfaces yet again.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Can’t defend three either

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Charge call vs. Kempton as it appeared he had a 2+1 to tie (at 90?)was ridiculous.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by sundayamqb sundayamqb.
    StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

[quote=23777]Charge call vs. Kempton as it appeared he had a 2+1 was ridiculous.[/quote]

Agreed looked like a poor call. That said, when you give up 22 offensive rebounds to your 20 defensive boards, have 15 turnovers vs forcing 10, and give up almost 100 points – you don’t deserve to win. I know it is only Game #2, but this team has a long way to go if they want to be a PL championship team.

gohawks63
    Participant

That was a tough call. The refs were the prima donnas tonight.

Canisius played very gritty and McMillan is a stud ..

lehigh90
    Participant

My fears confirmed. We don’t guard anybody. How cm. you win giving up 98 points? This is Canisius not Kentucky.

toddcudd
    Participant

I thought D looked pretty good in first half. Foul trouble was devastating, though. Saw guys get fouls when trying to get out of the way. Ugh.
    Shooting was very good, I think. Goldy only appears to be about 50%. There were several stretches where JC was the only “big” on the court – that hurts. He had a fantastic game, but you just can’t play D or rebound with 4 guards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.