Georgetown recap

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Georgetown recap

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by van van 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I listened to game. Need a beer. What are your thoughts?

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Played out very similar to the Cornell game. Jumped out to big lead, your WTF play that gave the opposition a window to get back into it, offense and defense make enough plays to get the win.

The good Dr. Pelletier torched the Hoya secondary for 180 yards receiving and 2 TDs, Sodeke another big day, Shaf with 350 yards passing, best in his career. Overall, a good step towards 150.

toddcudd
    Participant

I only listened to the game, so couldn’t see what was happening. But 2nd and 3rd downs seemed to be problematic, as LFN pointed out in a tweet. I think our 4th down conversions were far better.
    Why was that? Play calling? Another upside – got TEs involved, and they seemed to produce. I know that will make folks here happy.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

I watched on the G’town channel. I cannot understand why the coaches did not work with the center to stop snapping the ball so high. It went on the whole game prior to one over the Q’back’s head that led to the safety and to almost blowing the game.
    This game could have been won by over 20 points but for dropped interceptions and the bad snap. They showed improvement overall even adjusted for today’s opponent.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

It was Cornell redux. It was an ugly win against an inferior opponent. Team played pretty well to build a lead and held on for dear life. Game should not have been this close. Red zone offense early was not very good. Pelletier and Sodeke had a good game. Still far too many mistakes – penalties, several bad snaps, one that resulted in a safety, turnover (bad fumble before half).

One final point – thank God for the holding call at the end. How the heck does the LU defensive back let a receiver get behind them at the end like that? You would think that the dbacks would have learned by now. Guess not.

The importance of game 150 still remains the same – a win is the only way to make this season palatable

On to HC and another very average opponent.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by hawkineer hawkineer.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by hawkineer hawkineer.

Miller
    Participant

A much needed win,I think we can win the rest after looking at those scores today. Sodeke was a work horse and Shaf got the job done. Now on to Holy Cross

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A win.Way to many mistakes but alsoa lot of very good play, Shaf very crispinpasses.Pelletier was unstoppable. D was solid all game.Had some TOsthey left out there. Caveat GU O is vanilla and bad.
    Next 2 are winnable if and only if we clean upthe mistakes.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Things that concern me:

1) As Toddcudd pointed out: ” But 2nd and 3rd downs seemed to be problematic, as LFN pointed out in a tweet.”

Yes, we left way too many points on board.

Learning year for OC? Glad he got more TEs in.

2) As someone pointed out, perhaps on radio, why did it take GT four quarters to go deep on our DBs? Thank goodness for penalties.

1) and 2) have been issues all year. Based on the limited info I have, we may get away with problem 2) against HC and Colgate offenses.

3) I watched much of second half of LC and BU game (marred by a REALLY scary injury to BY DL (hope he’s OK). I was impressed by how Coach Susan personally handled it. He seemed teary-eyed after the ambulance left the field.)

But … I’m worried about LC’s Drew Reed and how he very well may eat us up in 150, by air and ground. LC defense was pretty good, too — especially against run. And Scheurmann can be deadly, too …

No such worries for two weeks …

I’ve gotten over the kicking game; all you can do is wonder. I’m glad, though, that Andy said he concerned about it.

Not to gloat, but I predicted on another string: LU, 28-21. Not too far off …

van
    van
    Participant

watched stream of game and it was an ugly win against an inferior opponent, and Shaf throws too many passes to wrong shoulder or knees, but all in all there was great effort by all and a win is a win

holyloch61
    Participant

Van For someone who was not at the game how can you make a comment about how the Lehigh QB threw the ball ??? Georgetown pass defense is first in the league ,they had going into this game given up 4 TD’s passing ALL YEAR .They lead the league in SACKS with one player having 13+ sacks .The Lehigh QB was 17 for 26 and had 2 or 3 dropped passes ,also had 345 yd’s passing . What the hell do you want him to do ,run ,block ,tackle and catch passes .You do know that there are 11 players on a team ,all have to do there part .

van
    van
    Participant

OK 61, all I want is for him to throw more accurately, does not have to block, tackle or catch passes, and only run on occasion

wonder how many of those dropped passes are at the knees or wrong shoulder, I know several were this week and I saw the game streamed which often gives more detail than those in the stands,

here is one example for you – the long ball to #88 – he was open by at least 10 yards and the ball was so far under thrown that he almost had to stop and turn to catch it which resulted in him being caught and tackled instead of a touchdown, no big deal against a team like Hoyas but to beat Cross or Pards can’t have that stuff
    Shaf is a gamer, but just wish he would become more accurate with his passes

van
    van
    Participant

on another note, Cavenas a bright spot on the D where we need all the help we can get

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

This was a good confidence building game. Still won with a lot of mistakes. We moved the ball very well against one of the best defenses in the league. Shaf’s “underthrown’ ball to the 88 was into a fairly decent wind. Wind was very tricky coming from the NE at an angle and probably pushed Pandy’s one missed FG to the left. DB’s made some very good plays on balls (should have had three INTs but didn’t hold on), but also made some more missteps, as well. Again, some lousy tackling in the open field. The coaches MUST address this short coming. You can’t be a DB an be afraid to tackle. Too much diving at ankles rather than ‘going through’ the runner. Caslow is showing he will be a force in the future, and the speed and talent of the young WRs gives great hope for the offense going forward. I, too, was glad to see more attention to the TE’s and it paid off.
    Also of note, Lehigh had 3x more people in the stands than the Hoyas! Pathetic to have the visitor take over your stadium. Also goes to show that despite the lamenting, we have a long and strong tradition that few schools show. I can’t help but think such a strong presence on the road helps the players knowing that despite the difficulty of the year, they still have our support.

van
    van
    Participant

G town announcers did note the wind as a factor, so perhaps I am overly critical of that under thrown ball as an example

I stand by my comment that Shaf’s accuracy is the key area for improvement, can I say that without being overly critical?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Oh, I agree his accuracy needs work. He missed a wide open receiver in the endzone in the first quarter, requiring us to kick the field goal. He has a lot of skills, but still a work in progress. Next Spring and August should be quite competitive among Shafnisky, Timchinko, Craven and Mayes, come August.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.