Leufroy/Holba

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Leufroy/Holba

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  toddcudd 9 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

lehigh90
    Participant

I was poking around Rivals to look at recruiting, and pretty excited to see Leufroy and Holba as 3 star recruits. Those are two huge gets for the coaching staff. Nice to see a solid infusion of talent coming to Stabler. My question is has Lehigh ever had a 3 star recruit? If memory serves me, CJ was a 2 star, and most of our guys are unranked. How about around the league, who has been a 3 star guy in the PL? Obviously, Foyle was a 4 or 5 star, but who else has ranked this high? And, we have 2 in one class.

toddcudd
    Participant

KR shows as 3* in rivals and 247. Don’t know anybody else, offhand..

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I’m excited about both Holba and Leufroy, and I think they are excellent PL level recruits. As for stars, quite a few PL guys have three stars from at least one recruiting service – so I wouldn’t read TOO much into it. A few names off the top of my head (not including transfers):

Kahron Ross had three stars from Rivals. Marquis Hall was a three star guy. John Gourlay was a three star recruit who reportedly was recruited by Oklahoma State and Illinois.

Cam Ayers and Nana Foulland at Bucknell, Cedric Hankerson and Eric Johnson currently at BU were three star recruits, and BU’s Cheddi Mosely was also three stars in some services. AU has one commit with 3 stars from Scout and another with three stars from ESPN.

I think offer lists are more telling, and Holba has a really nice list of interested schools. Leufroy less so but many recruiting services seem baffled by how lightly he was recruited.

lehigh90
    Participant

Yeah, I know it is tough. I really only look at Rivals. I think sometimes the big men get way too highly ranked by the services. Gourlay perfect example. He was a 7 footer, playing against very low level competition. Others that come to mind, a guy like Blaise Mbargorba, who I think was a 4 star, had no impact at SMU and not much yet at BU (although playing little better lately). And, John Brandenburg, who was also a 4 star, who had no impact at Virginia, and very little at Colgate.

TMH
    Participant

Guerin Catholic 63, Heritage Christian 46. Notable: Matt Holba (GC) 38 points.

TMH
    Participant

Really nice article on the game but makes me wonder what role he will have at Lehigh.

http://thetimes24-7.com/m/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=43817

TMH
    Participant

Video on what is going on with Prolific Prep if anyone is interested.

toddcudd
    Participant

Man, I have no reservations about his role! Sounds, to me, like the legit 3-man we really need. As long as he’s quick enough to keep up with smaller guys, I’d be thrilled. Sounds a lot like HG, to me – but hopefully we’ll be able to play him as a 3.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

That was fascinating. The wave of the future. More European Junior type training in Bball here and IMG for football. I wonder how many of his kids attend any HS? Certai.ly looks more balanced than IMG.

TMH
    Participant

toddcudd.
    This is just a fan talking but Lehigh doesn’t seem to designate guys as a #2 or a #3. We use a protypical PG, 2 wings and 2 forwards. So I was focusing on this wing position. Currently MS is rotating between spelling KR at the point and putting in a lot of minutes at the wing. Perhaps maybe that changes a little next year. AP starts at another wing. BA is currently in our 8 man rotation and has had some really good games and I think a big upside. I think that KL may be ready to play from Day 1 and although he is a hybrid guard, the PG position seems to staffed quite well. At 6-6, if Holba mans the wing too, there will be real competition at that position (always a good thing) but I have no idea how minutes will get allocated. I suppose, it will work itself out.
    Next year however we may have the deepest and most athletic back court in our history. I would just love to see a liberal substitution pattern and just constant pressure on the ball like VCU.
    Alas, I can dream.

toddcudd
    Participant

Totally understood, TMH. It’s just kind of a pet peeve for me. And also likely an under-informed one at that. But I feel like the whole PG, 2-wings thing is a cop out. I’ve always believed that we (and many, many mid-majors) do that simply because we HAVE to. Either because the teams don’t have a true 5, or not enough depth at the forwards – 3 guards by default. Good bigs are simply so much more rare.
    Totally possible that I’m wrong, and that this really is a choice. But it feels like, maybe, we could actually play 2 bigs plus a SF-type next year. But then again, we’ll likely be thin at the forward spots after next year. Worth a big change for one year? Maybe not. Likely just daydreaming.

toddcudd
    Participant

Apologies if this has been noted elsewhere, but I just discovered that Matt Holba is rated as the #36 small forward, nationally, in the 2015 class per ESPN. That’s some pretty rarified air for us!

Top 50 SFs

LU15
    Participant

Both these recruits were called steals for Lehigh by Scout and Rivals!

toddcudd
    Participant

Matt Holba

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.