LU DEFENSIVE BACKS

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football LU DEFENSIVE BACKS

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Engineer86 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

LU 77, 85, 88, 15
    Participant

For those who have been to games, and seen personally, compared to what you see on on Saturdays in college games and Sunday in the NFL, have yo noticed that LU defensive backs, seem to have their backs to the Quarterback? In my opinion, it’s unbelievable how LU defensive backs don’t look back.

Miller
    Participant

Coaching. After Coach K left and before Coach Wilcher got promoted to DC,we had really great non schollie corners. Remember Cribbs and Kennedy? Under Coach K, Wilcher had a really nice secondary. It all comes down from the top(Botts) and the way you are coached.BUT……..did see 2 NFL plays this past weekend that reminded me of what you are posting about.

hawktalker
    Participant

Did notice that especially the cornerbacks, neither of whom have a pick this year. The three picks we have were by safeties, one of whom is recovering from illness and not playing.
    The fact that these DBs are going against a quarterback who once this year threw 70 passes in a game is troubling

TMH
    Participant

With one pass on the near sideline last week, I literally stood up and yelled turn around. Apparently I don’t have as big a mouth as my kids always claimed I did. But just like my kids, he didn’t listen either.

LehighGuy
    Participant

Wouldnt it be nice if we played the young guys at CB. We play them everywhere else, they cant do any worse IMO. Lets see what they got. Will the upperclassmen be replaced during the game or after? Doubt it….#1 here they come!

van
    van
    Participant

agree about them not looking back for ball but in fairness, it has not been the CBs that are getting burned the most

just a fan
    Participant

It would be so nice

I WANT WINNERS!!

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I’m with you, TMH; I yelled “Turn!” too. I’ve yelled “Ball!” before.

You’ve got to turn when the ball is almost there, but you need some help.

Or, are our guys so slow they can’t give any room, then step up and get a pick?

I have seen same issue in NFL. Maybe I’m clueless about how DBs play nowadays.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

DB is the toughest position on the field. You are on an island and have to have a 6th sense as to where the ball is going. The CB has to ‘peek’ into the backfield while watching the WR to come up on the run. Being able to ‘read the eyes’ of the WR is tough to learn. Running full-tilt with the WR and yet trying to keep the body under control so as to not interfere. The WR knows where his is going, as does the QB. IF their timing in “on”, the DB has very little chance to INT or BU. You hope the pass is off. You must make sure the WR does not get behind. Some of my biggest concerns is not allowing the completion, but the bad tackling that allows way too many YACs. The biggest aid to the DB is a great pass rush. A hurried pass is usually primed for INT.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

As bad as we felt all year, pity the poor Colgate fans who suffered with a defense that gave up 653 yards today vs. Sam Houston State and our old Blue Hens nemesis K.C. Keeler.

Sam Houston got 383 in air.

Maybe we’re better off not having made it this far in the playoffs.

mayo82
    Participant

sunday
    This type of sentiment will fade once we earn a playoff spot again. The season is a body of work, not one game. Better to attain a post-season slot and lose, even badly, than to not make it at all.
    Saucon Valley is a state AA school district that plays about 2 miles from Goodman. They were crushed 72-27 by a football factory school on Friday state semi-final. The return through Hellertown was a winner’s celebration. Keep the faith.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Hats off to the Saucon Valley Panthers who had to knock off Bethlehem Catholic from the much bigger East Penn conference just to get out of districts. A truly remarkable season. Hopefully osmosis will take over and radiate the karma (coaching?) about three miles west to Goodman.

Engineer86
    Participant

The team Saucon played had 6 guys over 330. A TE going to Florida St, RB that was injured going to Arizona, a T being recruited by Oklahoma, and a DE going to Penn St. A pure sports factory. They would win the 4A level if in it. It was great to see a normal public school do so will in this day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.