Patriot League has a problem named Boston U

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Other Sports/Suggest New Category Patriot League has a problem named Boston U

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LU808
    LU808
    Participant

Critics say a newly-hired Boston University professor has crossed the line with recent tweets bashing whites, but the school says it’s simply free speech.

“White masculinity isn’t a problem for america’s colleges, white masculinity is THE problem for america’s colleges,” Saida Grundy, an incoming assistant professor of sociology and African-American studies at Boston University, tweeted in March.

In another tweet from January, she wrote: “Every MLK week I commit myself to not spending a dime in white-owned businesses. and every year i find it nearly impossible.”

In another, she called white males a “problem population.”

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A bit of hyperbole 808. Her opinions are not BU’s or PL’s problem. So she is a bigot. Perhaps her experiences have led her to a repulsive racist hatred of white males. To generalize about all of any group is simplistic hubris,proving only that she is exactly the same as those bigots. Bottom line BU has hired a rather stupid bigot as an asst professor. Must be a rather low bar to teach at BU.

toddcudd
    Participant

Saw this last night, and was tempted to respond immediately. But decided to wait for a ruling from members and leaders. I think the topic is truly political, and definitely sensitive.
    it’s also a topic I’m passionate about, so my response would definitely be political and controversial.
    Gonna hold my tongue and wait for feedback on whether this is the place for this discussion.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Probably isn’t todd. While her experiences and perspective may explain her feelings. Broad generalizations of any nature are always incorrect and do little to actually address the issues we face. What particularly annoys,besides the blatant racism,is her casual disregard for truth in her factual premises. Slavery and racism,while both repugnant ,are not synonymous nor a peculiar facet of western civilization alone. IMO,rather than perpetuating racial stereotypes,actually positing ways to rid society of knee jerk reactions to color by everyone, her included,would be more productive. To state that all white males are resonsible for racism in America serves merely to antagoniz and not address issues.
    OK,my AM rant. Apologies.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

You got it right Rich. Every institution of any size, and BU is huge, is going to have people with fringe views on either end of the scale. My view is this stuff is for another Board, such as AnyGivenSaturday’s “Lounge”, but not here.

Engineer86
    Participant

My understanding is that BU excuses this as freedom of speech. While I completely agree with that, it is inconsistent with the typical approach to conservative comments, which would result in a radical call for a firing. In the end she is ignorant.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by  Engineer86.

toddcudd
    Participant

So much for dropping the subject, huh?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Oh well.it will peter out. Ignorant tweets are basically boring after a while.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Isolated nutcase. I’ve moved on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.