Recruiting – what do we need most?

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Recruiting – what do we need most?

This topic contains 90 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    LU808
    LU808
    Participant

My take:

1) Positions
    DL, OL, CB, LB

2) Characteristics
    OL – more athletic (no fatties – agile/speed/5.0 40s)
    LB – more size inside
    Overall – focus on speed

van
    van
    Participant

for numbers, as usual we need a balanced class

although we don’t seem to punt much, we will definitely need a punter as Devine is a SR

for skills, we need help on D, DL, LB, and DBs and although DBs get exposed most I don’t see where any of these areas are stronger than another

always need OL, as they are apt to have injuries

RB and WR seem well manned right now and probably not an emphasis area

FB and TE never seem to be emphasis and we have those spots filled for now

I would say DB, LB, and DL are the top three needs from a skill standpoint

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Mostly agree. We have a DL,aD/OL and a SS.
    #1 a NG,haven’t had one since Chagani. Palma a very good pass rusher,great motor but not a run stuffer.
    2.Speed,anywhere
    3, OL,CBs
    LBs a quandry to me. We have lots of them. My gut is the issue there is not the players.

marco
    marco
    Participant

How much would anyone be willing to bet that a different DC could manage to “hold” teams to 24-28 points per game with the same personnel?

Of course we can use bigger LBs and a bonafide middle guard, but the coverage skills of the DBs never changes and never improves. I also note that good runners (Lee, Edmonds) look like Walter Payton and mediocre ones like that Lafayette kid are allowed to gain 146 yards.

Something needs fixing Andy. I surely hope that it gets fixed because I think we have the makings of a championship team.

Can we either steal Bucknell’s DC, or, at very least study all Bucknell game films and figure out what they are doing that makes them successful?

Please!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by marco marco.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gate and Bucknell Ds not dissimilar to ours in talent. Note we beat both of those Ds. Both,however have better stats than we do. Brings us back to players,coahes,scheme,injuries etc. Which of these are fixable and how?

van
    van
    Participant

not sure our LBs are what we need, Caslow makes a lot of tackles and # for # is as tough as they come, but pretty small for a middle LB

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Ripanti 225 and Buskirk at 220 only ILBs w PT returning. A bunch of 220s on roster,just not on field.
    According to all I’ve read on 3-4 and stack Ds,the scheme calls for quick LBs not big ones. Of course,schemes also call for a good NG.As someone noted a while back,our 2 ideal ILBs are FBs now.

Lehigh74
    Participant

Can we either steal Bucknell’s DC, or, at very least study all Bucknell game films and figure out what they are doing that makes them successful?

If we can’t hire Bucknell’s defensive coordinator, how about his top assistant? Lehigh’s offense + Bucknell’s defense = championship

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  Lehigh74.

Engineer86
    Participant

[quote=23951]Ripanti 225 and Buskirk at 220 only ILBs w PT returning. A bunch of 220s on roster,just not on field.
    According to all I’ve read on 3-4 and stack Ds,the scheme calls for quick LBs not big ones. Of course,schemes also call for a good NG.As someone noted a while back,our 2 ideal ILBs are FBs now.

[/quote]

How are you counting Caslow who is a junior? I like Buskirk in the time he got this year. Caslow at Rover Buskirk in middle?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

I agree the emphasis in on D, but still need some balance elsewhere as depth is always crucial, especially at RB where the % of injury is the highest. The only place we don’t need depth is QB. It would be great to get one or two LBs who are in the 220 lb range. I felt out LBs were very scrappy this year and fought well, but were over powered at times.

buck
    Participant

Recruit for SPEED. Overall team team is average. Agree no more fatties.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Knott is applying for a 5th year. Also,Andy mentioned post game that next year’s class wil likely be around 15. Guessing a higher % of full rides. No room for any misses.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Depending on what we want to be, defensive front seven has to be top priority IMO. We lose Laub, Robb, Kondas, probably DJ Bourgeois, probably Greg Palma, possibly TJ Stubbs and other depth in that area. Also, if we stay with the 3-3-5 we clearly need depth at Rover. I’d say priority goes to DL, then LB.

Another place where we need depth is, oddly enough, safety. We have some good cover corners and plenty of depth there but at safety we were thin.

OL will need to have some more names plugged in as well to replace Ford and Cohen, but more importantly we need some more bodies to form the line of the future there. There will be at least 3 seniors on the O line next season.

We are set at QB. RB can always use depth, always can use a good WR. Also need a P/K with the graduation of Devine. We’ll enter the spring with Mish as PK and Gage Wilson as the P. Wilson will have the chance to ear the starting role, but a freshman could come in and challenge him.

I’d say needs are 1. DL 2. DB 3. OL. Perhaps replace 2) or 3) with LB. Not sure.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Not too concerned with DL. Stubbs return hinges on back injury. Otherwise,Caveness,Lynn,Mitchell saw time. Have 2 already verballed. Expect Kaufman and Murrow will step into rotation. A NG is a must.
    Agree on S. Siegenthaler a mystery. Has the size and speed. Barrett and Lambert ( maybe)and Walker back at Rover.Harvey will fill at Robb’s spot. Ripanti,Casliw and Buskirh inside. Would like to see Coffman,McCain or Olshanski step up inside.
    OL brought in 5 last yr plus Smith my hope to move in. Injured last two yrs,so hard to be optimistic.
    NG and speed and best athlete. Not many slots available. Not sure on Smith’s status on team. That may free up a schollie.

TMH
    Participant

With all the talk about needing a kicker, what happened to McCollum?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.