Rider Game

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  pafan11 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

pafan11
    Participant

Does anyone have any inside knowledge on Rider? I think I read somewhere that they where picked to finish high in their conference. However, I read on their website that they really struggled with DII East Stroudsburg. I realize it was an exhibition game but they where down most of the game including by seven or eight at the half. If they didn’t play key players for some reason than I would say they are maybe a little overrated.

• This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by  pafan11.

rider alumni
    Participant

Rider fan here…to give you some insite. Last year, Rider was picked 8th in the preseason poll, and came in second. This year they were picked 4th. They struggled with East Stroudsburg but were missing two starters, Zedric Sadler their point guard (who will miss the game tomorrow) and center Junior Fortunate who had a death in his family . They also took it like an exhibition game, playing different combinations and trying to give some freshman extend run.

They are led by two seniors who were 3rd team all MAAC last year – 6-5 guard Anthony Myles and 6-7 forward Danny Stewart. Stewart is the key for the team – as he is usually too quick to be guarded by tradional bigs, and too strong to be guarded by mid-major wings. He has expanded his game, out to the 3 point line. He often disappears during games. Against East Stroudsburg he got called for some cheap fouls and sat most of the game. Rider really lacks bigs, as they only have 1 center 6-10, (they have 2 seven footer – redshirting), so when Fortunate gets in foul trouble (which is often) Stewart has to play the middle.

Although not many bigs, they have a slew of 6-7 athletic forwards. They will be starting a freshman point guard, Jimmie Taylor, since Sadler is hurt. He show signs of being really good against East Stroudsburg–but he is a freshman. Last year, Rider changed their approach (new coach) to being a really good defensive team. They were near the top in the country in 3 pt defense. What I noticed, is they were very good in identify the top player on a team and shutting him down- letting others beat them. I think I would describe them as winning ugly.

I believe they will be better later in the year, then they will be tomorrow. The approach is use non-conference to get ready for league play – since they are in a 1 bid league. Their strengh seems to be their length and athletic ability at the wings, and their weakness is rebounding and turnovers.

Don’t have any idea, what to expect.

pafan11
    Participant

Great overview, thank you. It sounds like two very similar teams, athletic and developing. If all holds true should be a very good game.

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes</strong

LU’s
    http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men%27s%20Basketball/2013-14/2%20-%20Rider.pdf

Rider’s
    https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2563502.pdf?ATCLID=209304827&SPSID=96747&SPID=11878&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=20200

I know it’s way too early to pay much attention to KenPom and other ranking services, but hey what the heck. Here’s how Pomeroy sees our home-opener tomorrow night.

Rider (0-0) 183rd ranked
    MAAC 16th
    @
    LU (0-1) 188th ranked
    PATRIOT 21st

LU wins 70-66 (65% chance)

Rider is coming off a 19-win season in which the Broncs finished in second place in the MAAC after being picked to finish seventh. This year, the team from Lawrencville (NJ) is the No. 4 pick in the Pre-season Men’s 11-team MACC Basketball Poll. Their team website reports they will look to senior leadership of a pair of returning third team All-MAAC seniors, forward Daniel Stewart and guard Anthony Myles. Stewart was the MAAC’s fourth rebounder (7.2), while Myles scored 12.4 points per game. Look for Rider to start 2 seniors and 3 freshmen tomorrow night – no one over 6’7” in height.

The Broncs played one exhibition game and got by East Stroudsburg 79-76. Game report follows:
    http://www.gobroncs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=11878&DB_OEM_ID=20200&ATCLID=209297093

TMH
    Participant

LU65,
    I have several commitments on campus tomorrow and will likely miss the opening tipoff. Is there any chance of a meet and greet at halftime rather than prior to the game?

LU65
    Participant

Of course, TMH. I’ll be on the west end (floor level) opposite our bench at halftime. Hope jimk72 and others stop by to say hello.

lehigh90
    Participant

Sad to see our lifetime record vs. Rider is 20-30. But, if you look at the lifetime records vs. every team, they are horrible across the board. Just goes to show how bad this program was for the better part of 100 years. Nice to know that Billy Taylor and Brett Reed have breathed a lot of life into it, over the last 10 or so years. We are at below .500 against virtually everybody, including some really bad D3 programs. Looking forward to seeing our records continue to rise.

lehigh90
    Participant

Tonight’s game is bringing back a very fond memory for me from when these teams last meet at Rider in 2009. I was in attendance that night when Lehigh brought a skinny freshman with long arms in off the bench early in the first half. He instantly looked like the best player on the floor on either team. I had read a little about him, and wondered how Lehigh landed this kid, who was Ohio Player of the Year, at least according to Gatorade. He went on to have a very strong game, and establish himself as a player to be reckoned with for Lehigh. I left that night with a big smile, even though Lehigh lost the game. That was my introduction to CJ McCollum.

LU2012
    Participant

Wow, just wow. What a fun team to watch, tonight a least. Confirmed, AP can shoot, and oh yeah, JC actually can too, TK has some nice moves and an offensive presence in the post (not playing quite tough enough on the boards yet, 2 games), MM is a fantastic leader, MS can control the floor, and JG will be a good body in PL off the bench.

Over 40 points in three straight quarters, and I’m confident the defense will improve as the cohesion on this team develops.

LU2012
    Participant

Final thing, Rider down 14 with 45 seconds left and fouling? C’mon man.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by  LU2012.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Impressive win over decent team. JG can play. Lord we have depth in the front court. When did we ever have that? AP,MS,CS,MM SW wow. Heck even Conroy was a preence inside.

toddcudd
    Participant

Just friggin’ thrilled. Couldn’t have asked for better tonight. And they’re gonna get better, even this year. Will process over-night before posting any more thoughts. For tonight, just gonna be happy.

toddcudd
    Participant

Ok, just one more thing: I saw the 3 big lineup I wanted to see, too. SW at the 3, with two bigs. Lordie, I’m one happy hoops fan…

oldhoopsguy
    Participant

I believe we have a serious team here. Obviously some big time opponents coming early – but this nucleus of young talent is exciting.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

One caveat, Doc has to convince these kids to keep playing D even with lead. Not always going to go point for point against everybody.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.