Softball Field

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Softball Softball Field

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hawkineer2 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hawkineer2
    Participant

I see that the new softball field is still not completed. This is not surprising since no work was done during November and December before the bad weather arrived. Obviously, the contractor decided to take a pass and work elsewhere vs meeting his committment to have the field ready for this season which ends in a month. Really irresponsible.

TMH
    Participant

That may be a bit unfair. The same company was used to do both the baseball and the new softball complex. It was initially held up by environment drainage issues associated with the baseball field. Then came the continual bad weather. The “elsewhere” they ended up doing work on was the baseball field which I believe is ready.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Not unfair at all.

What was required was for the sod to be put down before mid December. There were many days to do so from late October into December (so the grass could knit together) which is when the contractor/subcontractor did their disappearing act. They are paid to execute according to an agreed upon schedule and plan accordingly and professionally and not put the program at the mercy of winter and early spring weather with all the inevitable excuses.

TMH
    Participant

I don’t know how privy you are with the logistics of this project. I was told that the Athletic Dept held up construction of the softball fields until the environmentl issues wit the baseball field were resolved since the same company was doing both projects and they wanted to minimize costs os starting and stopping. I’m not sure when it did get resolved, but the belief was that there would still be plenty of time to lay the sod. Winter however hit early and often which really set things back. The baseball stadium became the top priority when the weather cleared. The casualty was then softball.
    Am I far off?

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Somewhat.
    Because of the delay on the baseball field, the softball project was actually started beforehand and work was done durng the summer – before anything could be done on baseball for the reason you cite. Then work came to a halt because the subcontractor dropped the ball and its feet were not held to the fire. Mostly, what remained was laying the outfield sod and this did not conflict with the baseball project. This could have been done by the end of November.
    In addition, winter did NOT start early so there was ample time to have gotten this done. Once winter did begin, it was especially severe and lasted longer than normal, but this would never had been an issue had the contractor and subcontractor done the job they agreed to do.
    Of course, now they are using the weather excuse to avoid responsibility. Has work now begun or is the weather still too severe?

LehighGuy
    Participant

how about the upgrades to the center??? wasnt they suppose to be doing some expansions for better meeting rooms and etc

Hawkineer2
    Participant

I am not sure what you referring to. The varsity house?
    In any case, I hope it is not the same contractor who was mistakenly hired to have the softball field completed by last fall but has defaulted on the contract.
    Hopefully, that firm will mot be hired again.

toddcudd
    Participant

I think I recently saw photos posted of good progress on the varsity house, if that’s the question. Meeting rooms, film room, etc. Tried to find photos on LU site today, but no luck.

LehighGuy
    Participant

yes the Varsity house was what i was talking about. will it be finished before start of FB season???

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Not if the contractor who is involved with the softball field has the job.
    His M.O. is to start a project and get it partially done and then work elsewhere – only doing work during breaks in his during and between the other projects. Of course, they blames the “weather”. The project was started last summer and they could not lay down the outfield sod? Too hot, too cold, too wet, too foggy, etc. etc. What a farce. The softball program has missed the entire season.

toddcudd
    Participant

Coach Coen’s video update includes some info on the varsity house expansion, and a few shots of the facility.

TMH
    Participant

Hawkineer,
    You can relax now, the new softball field will its first game against Villanova next Wednesday followed by Army next weekend. Hope to see you there.

The new baseball field will host a big weekend series against Navy this weekend.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

Yes, better irresponsibly and inexcusably late than never.

Hawkineer2
    Participant

33 – 7

Lehigh softball wins the conference – again.

On to the PL championships.

Most successful Lehigh team at Lehigh.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.