St. Francis (PA) – Game 6

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball St. Francis (PA) – Game 6

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by StablerBum StablerBum 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Notes

We await.

KenPom

SFU (3-2 D-1 record) ranked 240th
    Northeast Conference – 29th ranked
    @
    LU (4-1 D-1 record) ranked 216th
    Patriot League – 19th ranked
    LU wins 67-62 (69% chance)

Last Time Out

LU rolled

– as expected – over Penn State Mont Alto (see previous posts on Message Board for details/comments)

SFU sank Navy

at Annapolis 85-68. On again/off again Ollie Jackson (Sr. 6/3” G), led the Red Flash with a 20-point effort as SFU collected a third win in the month of November for just the second time in program history. The senior guard hit on 6 of 8 3-point attempts to pace the Red Flash, who converted at a season-high 65.4% (34 of 52) clip. But, prior to his big night, Ollie had gone a combined 0 for 10 against Cincinnati, UMES, and Texas. While no-doubt a scoring threat, all eyes had better be trained on two 30-minute guys that make the Red Flash go. They are #15, 6’6” Senior Forward Earl Brown (12.3ppg) and #1, 5’11” Sophomore Point Guard Malik Harmon (12.2ppg). The latter, a product of New York’s Christ the King HS, he carries a .511 fga into the game. More than half his shots come from long distance where he clicks at an even .500.

Sadly, we and the Red Flash are alike in one glaring manner. That is, the way we protect the ball on offense. Only a handful of teams across the nation (30 or so), give up the ball more. LU comes in @ 24.6% of our possession; SFU @ 23.9% of their possessions.

Finally, we’ve had their number the last seven times we’ve met – whether it be at Stabler or out in Loretto – winning by an average score of 71 to 59. The streak could be longer; I just got tired of digging through the records. Let’s just hope that complacency doesn’t set in tomorrow night or, for that matter on Saturday when we take on winless LIU/Brooklyn – the NE Conference bottom dweller. Two in the win column before exams would be nice.

Other PL Games

on Wednesday night and which ones that will air on the PL Network

American @ Brown
    Army @ Delaware
    HC @ Albany
    Penn @ Navy (PLN)
    Sacred Heart @ Colgate (PLN)
    Binghamton @ Boston U. (PLN)

toddcudd
    Participant

This may be silly to say this early, in OOC schedule – but this feels like a meaningful 3-game set coming up. I think we’d all like to believe that we should beat St. Francis and LIUB, and we then face a Quinnipiac team that KenPom currently favors over us by 11. I’m hoping to see us build on the DePaul win with a good stretch here.
    As to the value of my opinion, however – so far I’m 1-4 on my preseason straight-up picks – ha! Only one I got right was ‘nova…

LU65
    Participant
    van
    van
    Participant

nice win, although second half got sloppy, really like the depth of this team with many young guys contributing, once the rookie mistakes clear up they should be much better

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Nice to get a win despite less than stellar shooting and Tim not putting up his normal #’s. And winning close games is a great experience for this young team. Love Justin getting rewarded for his hustle with a really nice line.

TMH
    Participant

Tim had foul trouble in this game. I was hoping he was over that snafu :-). I thought coach held him out a bit too long in the 1st half but then he picked up his 3rd quickly in the 2nd half.
    A win is a win though and I want this team to get used to winning. It becomes contagious.

van
    van
    Participant

Easy to keep TK on the bench with 2 pf when Goldy is having the game he had

lehigh90
    Participant

Any win at this point is a building block after the 0-4 start. Couple things jump out from the boxscore.

JC took 6 shots, and 5 of them were 3’s, made 1. Not what we want from him.

CS shot the ball well, but 3 turns to only 1 assist.

Very limited production from the PG spot. KR played 35 minutes (which must be season high) but only 3 points on 1-5 from field. Did have 2 to 1 assist to turnover and 3 steals. MS in 16 minutes had no stats other than 1 assist. 51 minutes from your 2 traditional points and only 3 points.

Couple things you have to like:

JG overall game and 75% from field and line, with 7 boards, and 3 off the offensive glass. Nice game.

AP didn’t shoot it well at 2-9, but got to the line 10 times. That is what good scorers do. Shows he is being aggressive to the rim and not always settling for the jumper.
    Also got 4 steals and no turnovers.

BA continues to give you a lift with his bench scoring. 9 last night and 3rd good scoring game in 6.

Ugliest 2 stats of the night:

Attendance at 643
    St Francis shot 3-11 from the line, which lost them the game.

But, good win when Lehigh shot it poorly from field and 3.

Question for those who saw game … how did KM look in his 8 minutes? Is he not 100 %. It he going to be a reliable bench guy for us?

LU15
    Participant

I think the attendence stat is misleading, it only counts tickets sold, and students dont buy tickets- remember they get in for free!

lehigh90
    Participant

That may be true, but I can’t recall a game in quite awhile that had more than 250 students there.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I think the attendence stat is misleading, it only counts tickets sold, and students dont buy tickets- remember they get in for free!

True, and I hope students continue to show up and the turnout improves. But the reported # would also include ticket purchasers who didn’t show up and I’ll bet that group is larger than the number of students who showed up for free. Attendance has always been pretty paltry but it seems like this year is off to an even worse start for some reason. Could be the timing of games as LU15 mentioned or the preoccupation by the athletic department and student body on Leh-Laf 150. Maybe the new minor league hockey team in allentown in stealing local sports fans that may have otherwise checked out a game or two. Hopefully the crowds pick up somewhat for PL play, because an average in the 600’s is thoroughly embarrassing.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Additions to above. The crowd probably numbered close to the 500+ listed. As to the tickets purchase number versus the in attendance number; I tried to buy seats toward the mid court area. Seats that have been empty for the three Stabler games I’ve been at. I was told they were sold, season ticket holders….. Hopefully those folks join us as league play begins.

Regarding KM….On the post game radio interview, Goldie was asked about his reaction to KM’s nice minutes in the first half. He said (paraphrasing) “the the Lehigh family (the team) was thrilled for him because he had to sit out last year with the transfer, and then was hurt to start the year.” Apparently it’s only recently that he’s been able to contribute in practice. I was impressed with his rebounding positioning for his first meaningful minutes in a real game. Three rebounds and a great input pass to Goldie for an easy basket.

And finally, thank Lord Pomeroy (and their foul shooting) for being with us in the closing moments. I thought we’d blow this one for sure with as cold a we became from the field, and some of the things that went in for them from 3.

LU15
    Participant

Some of those 3s were by St Francis were ridiculous!

toddcudd
    Participant

The big positive from this game, for me, was the FTAs. Especially from AP. Completely agree with 90’s comment; that’s the kind of adjustment a scorer makes when the jumper isn’t falling.
    Getting to the line was an area we’ve needed to see improve, and I think we’re seeing progress. Also nice to see the team pick it up and pull through in a game where TK was so limited due to fouls; Goldie in particular.

LU15
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more Todd, this was an excellent learning oppurtunity for the team, they are getting o much better!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.