Top 3 Choices for Out-of-Region FBS games

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Top 3 Choices for Out-of-Region FBS games

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Here’s a good offseason game.

Draw a border from the western edge of Pennsylvania, curve around south around Maryland and Virginia. Excluding FBS schools from those states stretching across the Northeast, what is your choice for the Top 3 schools to target in regards to an FBS game?

I’ll start.

1. LSU. Former Lehigh QB is their athletic director, and it would be a great opportunity to not only play a potential Top 25/perennial bowl contender, it would open up an area of recruiting that had dried up a bit in recent years.

2. Duke. Like-minded schools in terms of academics and a shot for the Dukies to redeem themselves against the Mountain Hawks – in football, anyway.

3. Northwestern. Same – a like-minded school in terms of academics and a trip to the Chicago area to show people about Lehigh’s brand of football.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by  lfnadmin.
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Duke
    Wake Forest
    Air Force

toddcudd
    Participant

How about Purdue, or Vandy? Duke is top of my list. Without the boundary rules, VA Tech might be on my list too…

van
    van
    Participant

I’ll go with Duke, Stanford and Vanderbilt for some geo-diversity

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Duke, Wake Forest, Vandy — my guess is academic profiles are similar

Ball State, Miami of Ohio any other MAC school

toddcudd
    Participant

I also like the idea of the MAC schools.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Other than Pete cant see much benfit ,cept money,to playing a MAC.

Miller
    Participant

UVa- is below the line, played them late 70’s
    UNC,NCSt,Duke,-all a quick flight into Raleigh/Durham but…….
    Any future FBS game will be in the region and close by.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

I was at that game. Whitehead almost pulled it out went for 2,NG and we lost to UVA by one.

toddcudd
    Participant

Attraction of MAC games, to me: good recruiting regions for us, I’d think, FBS visibility, and a reasonable shot at being competitive. I have to believe an FBS win turns some heads.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

I’d like to see us play Duke, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. IMO all games that if played to our capabilities we are very competitive.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

However, I would also like us to play Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College.

LehighGuy
    Participant

i know our 2016 and 2017 schedules are set. But cant we still change those games if something like a FBS team came along??

TMH
    Participant

Sometimes I subscribe to the be careful what you wish for, you may just get it philosophy. Although there are some obvious pluses to playing major programs, like paydays and recruiting exposure, they also can take a significant physical and mental toll. If we could be remotely competitive with some of the big boys, then I’m all for it. I just don’t think we are there right now.
    As for your original question, I would begin with a lower level FBS team like a MAC or Army and work our way up. I look forward to Navy in 2018.

toddcudd
    Participant

This is on my mind too, TMH. Factored into my choices. I would have that exact concern about top-tier FBS teams.
    My frame of reference: my dad attended the Naval academy in the ’60s, and he tells stories right in line with your concern. While Navy has always taken pride in playing with the big boys, and could usually be competitive for a good chunk of the game, by the end they were just worn down. The difference in size and strength just eventually takes its toll. Late in those games, Navy often lost kids to serious injury. That’s the last thing I’d want to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.