6 more players charged in breakin

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football 6 more players charged in breakin

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by ngineer ngineer 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Miller
    Participant

wow Rich, so defensive when your post is all about hearsay(various sources} and not actual knowledge. Sundayamqb mentioned (not in article) alcohol may not be connected in this incident, but you throw the guys under the bus saying “a few drunk players” and “they’re(their)immaturity”. This is not the first nor the last incident involving PLAYERS,but, knew I could get a rile out of the insider. Gotcha
    p.s. if she is not Joes’ girl we do not waste $ on that position…just saying

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

You mean to say they are not responsible for their actions. Learned, means that I talked to coaches and players in a variety of sports over the padt 2 years after I read about the program.
    Guess I should have expected you were trolling. Shame on me. Defensive? Perhaps so,in response to your post. You should spend a few minutes and try to undetstand how the program works before taking swipes at it.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

[quote=24323]wow Rich, so defensive when your post is all about hearsay(various sources} and not actual knowledge. Sundayamqb mentioned (not in article) alcohol may not be connected in this incident, but you throw the guys under the bus saying “a few drunk players” and “they’re(their)immaturity”. This is not the first nor the last incident involving PLAYERS,but, knew I could get a rile out of the insider. Gotcha
    p.s. if she is not Joes’ girl we do not waste $ on that position…just saying

[/quote]

Is it really any better if they weren’t drunk? Six SOBER men breaking into the wrong house and beating up a totally random individual while he slept? I honestly don’t know if it is any worse if they were drunk. It’s more embarrassing for them if they were sober while also probably worse from a legal standpoint if they were drunk. Doesn’t make much of a difference in the end.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

For the record: I have no idea if they were drinking or not. The newspaper stories I read did not mention alcohol. But I have no personal knowledge of this specific situation.

One article:
    http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2015/12/6_more_lehigh_football_players.html

While trying to find that article, I came across one on coed.com Showed Githens’ mug shot and made him look really bad.

The article also pointed out that the alleged hooligans were lucky the victims were not packing heat. They would have been legally justified shooting their intruders, the article said.

Shows you how reckless this alleged stunt was.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

BTW: The coed.com website also had a story from October 2014, announcing the arrest of another former member of the football team: Terez Owens

Owens allegedly dressed up like the yellow Teletubbie (not Tinky Winky) and broke into his friend’s place to eat Chinese food.

I think we discussed this case previously.

adcs2
    Participant

If this national program Julie created is so wonderful, why do you have so many problems with your football AND lacrosse players?

toddcudd
    Participant

If this national program Julie created is so wonderful, why do you have so many problems with your football AND lacrosse players?

Man, this line of thinking makes me nuts. To answer the “why” directly:
    1.) Because we’re talking about 18-22 year-old kids. Do you remember being that age? I do. And I did stupid stuff. I also disregarded advice from adults who knew better.
    2.) Alcohol. I’m actually a big fan of it – but combine it with #1, and “why” is pretty obvious. And yes, I know alcohol hasn’t been formally tied to the incident. But I was that age, at Lehigh, once upon a time. And I’d bet a vital organ or two that alcohol was involved.

No specific incident can be tied back to the failure of the program. That’s awful logic, and is called “anecdotal fallacy”.
    If we see a program like this doing good things for most of the kids, it’s a good thing. Do you throw out driver’s ed if a high-schooler crashes a car?

TMH
    Participant

I hadn’t realized until now that Todd’s vital organs were a form of currency, but I’d like to wager one too :-)

Here is my two cents. I don’t remember having met any of the participants in this matter but over the years I have met hundreds young men just like them at Lehigh. They typically come from very good schools and very good families. They worked very hard in both athletics and academics in order to get into Lehigh and stay there. They often volunteer much of their time. To a man, they’ve always been polite and respectful around adults. They are certainly not career criminals (your organs are safe on this one Todd). This is likely their first and possibly their only scrape. They play a sport that teaches one to settle things physically, then turn it on and off like a switch. They are not thugs but rather guys who on one night did a pretty thuggish thing.
    With that being said, I’m not by any means condoning what they did, simply explaining it. There was obviously bad behavior that needs to be punished. There are very real victims that need to be compensated. Ruining the lives of those who should be very productive members of society would be counterproductive.
    None of us know all the details of what happened or what preceded the action but we need to keep things in perspective when dealing with these young men. I think Chuck nailed it by using the word “disappointment” to express my reactions. The sole responsibility belongs with the players, not Lehigh, not the coaches and certainly not with a program that is designed to transition students through some turbulent years.
    Merry Christmas !!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

TMH and tpdd have stated my view ,better than I :). One forther point,Julie did not creaye the program.she was for it.

Miller
    Participant

Dear Joe, Rich,TMH,and todd, the job Director of “ALD” is a complete waste of dollars and reminds me of what is wrong with our government. Whether you love the person or think the idea is great……….just a total joke and misuse of funds and authority. Are you glad that we have someone concentrating on holistic wellness? Just remember,Don’t always expect perfection,look ahead, and rise above the obstacles.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

TROLL ALERT
    FEEDING TROLLS IS DICOURAGED AS NOT CONDUCIVE TO ACTUAL CONVERSATION

buck
    Participant

Julie is the AD’s daughter? Nepotism is never a good thing.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I’m with Miller on the bureaucracy thing. It’s a cultural problem at many educational institutions and the reason it costs so much to go to college nowadays.

At the same time, these guys were arrested for things that would have been “OK” back in the day, when all fraternity members lived on campus. Back then, the houses were open, you could have walked in and beaten the crap out of a guy who cheated with your girlfriend or sucker-punched a guy in your fraternity.

The right thing to do? No. But it happened and largely was tolerated — as was underage drinking — without police interference.

But back then no one was getting paid to play sports at Lehigh.

The world has changed. Stakes today are much higher.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

Sunday is correct. “Back in the day” this stuff happened with regularity. Our lone National Championship occurred because of people “looking the other way” when our stellar QB cold-cocked a guy in his fraternity breaking his jaw. Today’s world would have been expelled. Major problem today is so much of the ‘extra curricular” activity is occurring off campus where the City PD becomes involved. The District Justice office at Fourth and Brodhead should be a adjunct office of the Dean of Students. A virtural revolving door of LU students attending hearings and parents paying their fines. When athletes do it, it gets more attention. While some like to criticize the program designed to ‘educate’ the athletes about the risks, consider how bad things might be without the program. One never knows the answer. One’s opinion is simply jaded by their own political bias.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.