Bucknell

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Bucknell

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  holyloch61 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Recap
    4 frustrating losses and now a humiliating
    rout. Some flashes of good on D and O amidst
    too many what the fuck plays.Did anyone see whether or not we ever doubled Carter?
    Not much else to say. Just so embarrassing.

Engineer86
    Participant

It is pretty clear that our recruiting is not up to par. We are small where wended to be big and we are slow where we need to be fast. There is very little heart out there on the field. The fact that the team was not ready to play today after a 0-4 start that should have been at worst 2-2, tells me that this coaching staff needs to go.

The talent we have is middle of the pack PL level and this coaching staff, responsible for recruiting, then can’t even motivate or coach them to middle of the pack results.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

As disgusted as I am after today, still think you are oing a bit too far. D staff agree. D still very bad. That’s not size or ability thats on staff. DL actually was better and more pressure on QB. Tackling a bit better but still terrible. Team did not show up 1 st half. 3rd se outplayed BU but only 3 pts. BU has very good D ,clearly got the better of Shaf. Expected inconsistency this yr with all the new. We got that in buckets. D has athletic talent but tackles poorly and still gives up big plays each week. Thats coaching.
    We had 2 weeks to prepare. Seems that didn’t do much.
    We can analyze the crap out of our team but you are what your record says you are. We are 0-5.

Engineer86
    Participant

We are 0-5. At what point does the coaching staff take credit for that. More concerning to me other that 85, I do not see any stand out talent on this team. Additionally we are terribly small. What is our recruiting plan? This is on the coaches. Finally, while the game environment for fans is good,iam starting to question where our facilities stand relative to what we are competing with.

We need to upgrade our facilities. This program is slipping.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Facilities are classic. New scoreboard would be nice.
    We are not undersized as a team. DL is. LBs today were 190,235,210and 240.
    DL actually was not bad today. Newton,Palma and Stubbs and Guylds made plays. DBs on the other hand were toast way too often. Carter ate us alive.
    Not happy today but unwilling to throw evedybody under the bus.Post game Campbell opined ghat if everyo.e just did there assignment,rather than goi.g for superman plays,D would be fine. Interesting comment.

Engineer86
    Participant

If everyone made the plays then why are we 0-5. Keith Groller’s article says this is the first time we are 0-5 since 1966. Today the WR screen was an automatic 8yds. We got beat twice for long TDs you would think we would take one or the other away. As for the line, there has very little pressure all year long and today was not much different.

It seems like you are saying no one is responsible, we just played a tough schedule. I disagree, our history would demand better. Yale lost to Darmouth today. Bucknell is losing to NEC teams. What level of football are we expecting as a school. We were more competitive without scholarships. That alone speaks volumes about this coaching staff.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

No 86,that comment was by Campbell and he said D was not performing because players were not doing their assignents.
    DL did get pressure today. Too often led to big plays.
    Gave my opinion above poor tackling,out of position,big plays. D actually made stops and made BU punt. The big plays were as every week the difference.If ayersare as he said still not doing their assignments after 6 weeks,where does the fault lie?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

W gave up 436 yds today. 225 of them on 3 plays.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

All should go to lehighvalleylive post game article. Andy’s comments brutally honest and to the point. Pretty close to what we’ve been saying. Sums up first 6 games to a tee.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

I’m certainly not the first to bring this up, but….

6-5, 5-6, 5-6, 4-7, 10-3, 11-2, 10-1, 8-3, 0-?

For this trend to change dramatically twice, there has to be a reason. I just checked the bio for Valpo’s new head coach to make sure I had the years right.

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

I think Kotulski was a bigger loss than Cecchini. Regardless, clearly the magic formula was Cecchini as OC and Kotulski as DC. I have been less than impressed with Folmer. The first drive contained plays that we had not seen all year, which was encouraging. But, we slipped back into old habit. We have absolutely no deep threat to open up the underneath routes. I don’t understand why we don’t run more up tempo, no huddle to try to get Shafnisky some confidence and into a rhythm.

Getting rid of Wilcher certainly has not improved the secondary at all. We must have given up double-digit TD passes over 50 yards this year. Fordham may hit 70.

Quote of the Day: “We are a great football team,” Gaul said. “I felt it today when we were down 14. I felt that energy. That’s what we need to do for four quarters.”

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

My fear also. Mine a bit more deepseated having gone thru these cycles and longer ones since the early 60s. Dont think this is a cycle yet. Perfect storm this year of injuries,inexperience,staff turnover and inexplicably bad D. Andy when he started not a dynamite HC. He has grown. IMO ,D performance is the story not adown cycle.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Agree Hawkineer K and Gilmore are the two best we’ve had. Andy has not replaced Coach K with a competent DC. Thought Botts could do it. No doubt he’s trying but without results anywhere near adequate enuf.
    Let’s not forget 4 INTS,gave points to BU and took points away from us.
    We do have deep threats but Nick not accurate on long passes. Good arm but not that strong. Pelletier and Parris both can go long. Losing Knott hurts there

hawkineer
    hawkineer
    Participant

Rich,

If we have deep threats but not a QB to get the ball to them, is Shafnisky the future of this team or do we need a Stambaugh or Lum type QB instead? Lehigh has always been at its best when it had a strong arm, drop back passer.
    I think that Shafnisky plays hard and gives great effort. Obviously, his decision making today was not very good.

The other concern, a season like this can really damage the confidence and psyche of Shafnisky. Does a change to McHale help or hurt Shafnisky’s future?

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gosh,dont know. Nick is the guy. He flo
    ats passes over 30-35 yds. Longer he air mails. Remember early on he had a lot of long throws,hit a couple just missed on others. He can get it there just not quickly:).
    IMO,he tried to do too much today and BU caught him. A bunch of poor reads. No idea where fault lies.
    Mre experience,he’ll improve.
    Not sure what to think of Folmar. His first go round at OC. So a bit of a learning experience for him. We do seem to go into a vanilla shell at times. Have no idea why or whether its good or bad. O scheme does seem a bit catch as catch can ala Trey but realistically much of that could be the inexperience everywhere but TE.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.