Future FBS Opponents

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football Future FBS Opponents

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Miller
    Participant

Syracuse,Ball St.Navy, Air force..mix in UNH, Albany, Richmond, then add a few Ivies on top for sprinkles, and the Colgate schedule has made them a better team in the past 4 years and according to Rich may have helped in recruiting, have 8 commits already. Get on board or just wave as they drive off to more PL championships. Some just love our average schedule, I guess it will be ok if win the title, but think we are missing out.

objective observer
    Participant

what are we missing out on injuries?

now that there are all scholarship players- you can start slow-

remember – why play a school that is going to pretty much going to outscore you- and with this day an age of concussions- you need to be careful

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

It certainly didn’t hurt :) .Gate fans think its a poster hyping GateGate’s grad rate,salaries et all. Both probably factors but think most of that has to go to Hunt and his staff.
    All things being equal,which team would a recruit be more likely to want to attend? Assuming that Gate’s future OCC are similar, going to be tough going H2H with them for recruits.

objective observer
    Participant

DON’T GET TO CRAZY ABOUT HAVING A MEDICORE DEFENSE AGAIN

I THINK THE DEFENSE IS GOING TO BE FINE-THE BEST IN FOUR YEARS- WHICH ISNT SAYING MUCH

I AM PREDICTING NOW-

UNDER 400 YDS TOTAL OFFENSE PER GAME FOR OPPONENTS
    17+ SACKS
    AND NO ONE WILL SCORE OVER 42 POINTS IN A GAME

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

GateGate’s AD did a better job getting deals signed.
    If we were going for ACC,SEC level games, I would agree. Dont like body bag $ games. Local FBS some CAA and Ivies. Good for me.Right now, other than B10 teams, no FBS squad in NE is a body bag. Not easy but competitive. A diet of Army or Navy once years 4-5 yearAris depressing.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Hell, oo that would be phenominal.If O plays as it did last year, a PL title is in reach.

lu90
    Participant

[quote quote=27117]UNDER 400 YDS TOTAL OFFENSE PER GAME FOR OPPONENTS
    17+ SACKS
    AND NO ONE WILL SCORE OVER 42 POINTS IN A GAME[/quote]

Unfortunately, these are the types of goals we strive for after watching our defense the last few years.

At 400 YPG, our defensive rankings would improve to 75th from 106th (out of 123).

Sadly, I would settle for a 75th ranking but keep in mind, 4 of our 11 opponents were in the Top 45 in Scoring and Total Offense and that doesn’t include Colgate (49 pts last year) and Villanova.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Without that #75 D it will be a Hank Small shoot out year. Caveat even many of those Ds were better than what we have fielded the last 3 years. If O gets sidetracked even just a bit a winning record could hinge on our D.

Miller
    Participant

Injuries happen so get over that factor, hell most of ours happen in practice. Injuries happen when you are not focused. Big games happen when your AD is focused on the future of what is supposed to be a new day. some of you guys sound like little league coaches, or have never played and think you know what is best for now, we have scholarship players.!!!!!

toddcudd
    Participant

I worry about the “body bag” games – maybe too much. Maybe things have changed, but here’s where I’m coming from: my dad went to the Naval Academy in the ’60s, and closely followed their football at that time. Staubach years – stories for another day. But he told me for years about the toll the “big name” games (read as today’s FBS) took on their players. He’d tell stories of putting up a great fight for a half, but then getting beaten down by physically superior beasts. Sure, stories grow with age, but he talked about challenges to fielding linemen by the 4th q due to injuries. And I think Navy was, and probably still is, a lot more like an FBS program than we are.
    Again, maybe things have changed dramatically. And before I get the “Butkus and Deacon Jones…” stuff – I think today’s FBS athletes are probably stronger and better trained – physically – than pros were at that time.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

All FBS have more schollie players than we can ever have. A huge gap. Not always. Top 20 teams would be body bag slaughters. Academies MAC low tier FBs conferences. Those I think we can compete with of fairly even terms. Other than local teams,I see no resaon to even bother.
    Event games. Historical context sure why not Rutgers for me.
    Cant say I agree or disagree with Joe’s approach since we have no idea what his plan actually is. Alternating Army and Navy every 4-5 yrs is not a plan.

objective observer
    Participant

Here are a couple of observations:

Defensive line will definitely be faster on the ends – and bigger- the middle should hold its own- the linebacker play is critical this year-

The D-backs were sub par the last couple of years- I saw at least 20 plays were receivers got behind the d- backs this is NOT acceptable- also need a pass rush! this will help d backs

I made my predictions- to go back during the season- to gauge how well they are doing

The first big test will be Villanova-

BE PATIENT AND THE REWARDS WILL COME!

with Colgate at home- Lehigh will win the Patriot League this year!- they have the offense- and can play with ANY team in the League- Fordam is definitely going to miss their offensive coordinator-

write this down 2016 patriot league champs- and qualifier for football playoffs

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Good points oo.
    ILBs s/b our strength with Ripanti Caslow at 230 each.
    DBs were a confused mess. Too many raw kids and 2 many playing out of position. Indecision poor communication kids missing assignments. Amid that Jones and Montgomery showed very good coverage Noticed that 2ndary guys have spent a lot of time on campus this past month.
    Still believe we have a lot of athletic ability at each level. With confidence they could be a good D unit.

toddcudd
    Participant

[quote quote=27130]write this down 2016 patriot league champs- and qualifier for football playoffs[/quote]

I’m signed on. Cavenas has to become a monster, imo. And he might. And totally agree that pass rush will make the difference for the dbs.

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

With a decent defense, we should go at least 9-2. Offense should be able to average well over 30 pts per game. Defense wins championships, pure and simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.