Patriot League Championship-Women

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Women’s Basketball Patriot League Championship-Women

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lfnadmin 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

TMH
    Participant

Everyone seems incredibly adept at unraveling the playoff scenario so can you help me with the women’s team. Right now they are guaranteed a 1st round bye. Army and Bucknell are easily the class of the league, both have only 1 league loss and it’s to each other.

Here are the standings

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/w-baskbl/patr-w-baskbl-body.html

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

There are two games left on the women’s side.

The easy part: If Lehigh beats Army this weekend, Bucknell would be in line the 1 seed, Army would be in line the 2 seed, Lehigh would be in line for the 3 seed. Lehigh would simply have a game vs. 4-22 Colgate left to make it official

If Lehigh loses to Army, it depends on how many schools tie with them.

Navy:
    at Bucknell
    at American

Loyola:
    at American
    Holy Cross

Holy Cross:
    BU
    at Loyola

Head-to-head tiebreaks, Lehigh vs….

Navy 1-1
    Loyola 2-0
    Holy Cross 1-1

Navy vs. Holy Cross 1-1
    Loyola vs. Holy Cross 1-0
    Navy vs. Loyola 1-1

Though there are a lot of possibilities, that season sweep over Loyola puts them in a strong position in many of them.

TMH
    Participant

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll assume that if Army and Bucknell win out (a very good possibility) it would come down to the point spread in their 2 games since they will each be 1-1 against each other and 2-0 against every other team in the PL.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Right now, all Lehigh needs to do is beat 4-22 Colgate in order to lock up the 3 seed. If/when they do, they’ll host the No. 6 team, who will be either Loyola, Holy Cross, or Navy.

I think it breaks out like this:

* If Holy Cross loses to Loyola, they will play Lehigh no matter the result of Navy/American (either sole possession of 6th place or they would lose any tiebreaker with Navy due to 0-2 record against Loyola)

* If Loyola loses to Holy Cross and Navy beats American, Loyola will play Lehigh (sole possession of 6th place)

* If Loyola loses to Holy Cross and American beats Navy, then… Navy will play Lehigh (all the tiebreakers are the same until American. Loyola swept American while Navy would have been swept by American)

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=25731]Thanks, I appreciate it. I’ll assume that if Army and Bucknell win out (a very good possibility) it would come down to the point spread in their 2 games since they will each be 1-1 against each other and 2-0 against every other team in the PL.

[/quote]

No. Point spread is never a part of the basketball tiebreaker. For one thing, it might create a lot of animosity when a team that is leading by 15 points with a minute left is pressing fullcourt to try to increase the margin. Also teams might leave starters in for the entire game for the same reason.

Having said that, I wish it was point differential since Bucknell would prevail on that basis. Their loss to Army was a close one, despite BU having no point guard suited up for that game.

If Bucknell and Army both win this weekend – which is extremly likely – Army will eke out homecourt based on a slightly higher RPI. Both teams would be co-champs and raise identical banners.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Bison137 Bison137.
    Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote quote=25785]Right now, all Lehigh needs to do is beat 4-22 Colgate in order to lock up the 3 seed. If/when they do, they’ll host the No. 6 team, who will be either Loyola, Holy Cross, or Navy. . . .

* If Loyola loses to Holy Cross and American beats Navy, then… Navy will play Lehigh (all the tiebreakers are the same until American. Loyola swept American while Navy would have been swept by American)

[/quote]

I believe in that scenario that Lehigh would play Loyola. Navy prevails in a tiebreaker with Loyola by virtue of its win over 3rd place Lehigh.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

[quote quote=25788]
    I believe in that scenario that Lehigh would play Loyola. Navy prevails in a tiebreaker with Loyola by virtue of its win over 3rd place Lehigh.

[/quote]

You are 100% correct. So essentially, the loser of the Loyola/Holy Cross game plays Lehigh at Stabler (again, if Lehigh wins).

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Official tiebreaker from the league office:

Lehigh/Loyola Maryland/Holy Cross/Navy: If the Mountain Hawks win and the Greyhounds defeat the Crusaders, Lehigh will be the No. 3 seed, Loyola will be the No. 4 seed, and Holy Cross will be the No. 5 seed if Navy loses – if Navy wins then the Midshipmen will be the No. 5 seed (because of their split with Loyola) and Holy Cross would be the No. 6 seed.

If the Mountain Hawks win and the Crusaders defeat the Greyhounds, Lehigh will be the No. 3 seed (because of their sweep of Loyola), Holy Cross will be the No. 4 seed, and Loyola will be the No. 5 seed if Navy loses – if Navy wins then the Midshipmen will be the No. 5 seed (because of their split with Lehigh) and Loyola would be the No. 6 seed.

If the Mountain Hawks lose to Colgate, the winner of the Loyola/Holy Cross game will be the No. 3 seed.

If the Crusaders defeat the Greyhounds, Lehigh will earn the No. 4 seed and Loyola will be the No. 5 seed if Navy loses – if Navy wins then the Midshipmen will be the No. 5 seed (because of their split with Lehigh) and Loyola would be the No. 6 seed.

If the Greyhounds defeat the Crusaders, Lehigh will earn the No. 4 seed (because of its sweep of Loyola) and Holy Cross will be the No. 5 seed if Navy loses – if Navy wins then the Midshipmen will be the No. 5 seed (because of their split with Loyola) and Holy Cross would be the No. 6 seed.

If the Midshipmen lose, they are the No. 6 seed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.