Short-handed

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Short-handed

This topic contains 52 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

toddcudd
    Participant

I’d appreciate it if somebody could check my math here. We all know that we’re short-handed this year, and injuries are a major part of that. However, even with guys returning from injury, it looks to me like we will still be short next year. Here’s what I see for schollie players in ’16-’17:

Seniors: AP, TK
    Juniors: KR, BA, TJ
    Sophomores: KL, MH, CS
    Frosh: Cohen, Andree, Lieb

That’s a total of 11 – and a problem, in my mind. For what it’s worth, we will also have 2 walk-ons in Jay Jay and Josh Wolf. Am I overlooking something?

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

I think your math is correct. Lehigh has never had more than 12 schollie guys a year in my recollection, so we would be down 1 so to speak. I think it’s possible there is one more addition next year. There is a Scout article on Justin Robinson as recently as February 3rd mentioning a Lehigh offer. Not sure if that is an old offer or a standing one.

TMH
    Participant

What was even more disconcerting to me was finding out that this junior class was down to 2. If I’m not mistaken, this was the huge class when the dual announcements were made, I think 6. Then MS left, JRG elects to leave early, and our two well credentialed walkons decided on other options.

TMH
    Participant

I’m really not sure if we always only had 12 schollies to give but it appears to me that there has been a subtle or perhaps not so subtle shifts in scholarships due to the Title IX implications of football. Sue has 15 on her roster. She surely has the full complement. Softball, volleyball etc seem to be going with bigger rosters of high caliber players. Just a thought.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

We have had 13 in the past. If I am correct we haven”t since football went schollie. TMH may be right that Title IX may play into this. That said we still have one for next uear. Hope Doc finds a recruit to use it.

toddcudd
    Participant

Let’s also bear in mind that of those 11, 3 are returning from season-ending injuries. All the more reason for depth, imo.

lehigh90
    Participant

Looks correct, Todd.

Although, eligibility wise, couldn’t it shape up this way (assuming redshirts for BA, MH and CS). I’m fuzzy on the redshirting rules:

Sr. – TK, AP
    Jr. – KR, TJ
    Soph. – BA, KL
    Frosh. – MH, CS, JC2, PA, JL

Also, not sure we know the status of DC. Wouldn’t he have a year of eligibility left, possibly? Perhaps he finishes somewhere else, like AD did at Rider.

I also spoke to someone who watches a lot of Philly high school basketball, and is fairly connected, who asked me recently about Vaughn Covington and Lehigh. I assumed that we pulled back that offer with the signing of JC2 as a PG in that class. Covington playing on a stacked Neumann-Goretti team in Philly. Just clinched Number 1 seed in Philly Catholic League, and presumably best team in the City. He just got an offer from VMI, which I assume means he is still looking and Lehigh offer gone.

TMH
    Participant

JC2 :-)…I love it. The truth is, I’m not sure exactly what his role will be here. Initially, I see him as a CS1 or MS clone. This kid can score a ton. He is probably averaging 28 ppg and recently put up 40. Like the two I mentioned, he could probably spell KR at the point and play a wing when needed. He is a bit undersized for that role but so were the 2 I mentioned.
    Covington seems to be a pure PG.

TMH
    Participant

Last point. Am I the only one looking at that roster next year and thinking that the PL may be in a heap of trouble if they stay healthy. Consider how well Lehigh is playing now and consider having to replace the production of JC, JG and JRG with some combination of MH, PA, CS and JL. Then consider replacing the production of DC with BA and JC2, It looks scary to me.

toddcudd
    Participant

I’ve wondered about Covington as well. He’s still on our list, and available. As I recall, we might have been his first offer, too.
    Unfortunately, another PG but be our area of least need, with KR and TJ onboard, and JC2 on the way. I’d REALLY like to see a 2-guard added. It feels like we’ve got a promising batch of forwards in the queue.

TMH
    Participant

Actually, I’m leaning to wait until 2017. Next year’s team is already scary and I don’t think that Doc is salivating over having to replace 6 scholarship players in 4 years. He would far rather smooth out his classes IMHO.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Perhas so. Just thinking short term given our issues this year. Keep forgetting about Wolf. A PG this year. May be a solid role player adding some bulk up front.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Who is wolf

toddcudd
    Participant

Committed walk-on for next year:

Josh Wolf on expert site!!

travism
    travism
    Participant

How do they determine walk ons before season even starts. I thought that happened during beginning of practice and stuff gearing up for the season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.