Tiebreakers

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  LU65 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    travism
    travism
    Participant

Currently tied with bu. Who has the tie breaker? Also what decides tiebreaker after head to head

TMH
    Participant

CHIP72
    Participant

Right now Lehigh holds the tiebreaker on Boston U because the Mountain Hawks are 1-1 against Bucknell while the Terriers are 0-1 against the Bison. Boston U and Bucknell square off on Sunday in Lewisburg at 12 PM (CBS Sports Network).

Would people prefer if Bucknell beat Boston U so Lehigh would be in 2nd place alone (assuming a win over Lafayette on Sunday; incidentally the Leopards played solidly tonight but lost a game they had in their hands, falling 60-59 in OT at American), or would you prefer if Boston U knocked off the Bison so there would be a 3-way tie for first in the Patriot League?

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

Bucknell:
    BOSTON U.
    at Lafayette
    at Navy

Boston U.:
    at Bucknell
    ARMY
    HOLY CROSS

I would probably be rooting for BU to upset Bucknell. If Lehigh then wins, then wins out, they’d have a chance at the reg. season title no matter what happens (if not the No. 1 seed).

In a 3-way tie it could come down to records vs. Navy or Colgate as to whom is the No. 1 seed. Bucknell would be 2-0 vs. Navy in that case, and Lehigh would be 2-0 vs. Colgate in that case. Bucknell still needs to play Navy and Lehigh still needs to play Colgate.

CHIP72
    Participant

With the results this weekend, it appears likely Lehigh will finish second in the Patriot League regular season. In order to clinch no worse than 2nd place in the Patriot League, the Mountain Hawks need to win 1 of their last 2 games (at Colgate, at Army). A split and 12-6 PL record would guarantee they’d finish ahead of Navy and Colgate (both of whom have 7 league losses) and win a tiebreaker with Boston U even if the Terriers win their last 2 games (due to Lehigh’s better head-to-head record against 1st place Bucknell; the Mountain Hawks split with the Bison, while Boston U was swept by the Bison).

It will be hard for Lehigh to finish ahead of Bucknell and gain the #1 PL Tournament seed, mainly because a) the Bison beat 3rd place Boston University twice and b) the Mountain Hawks still play tied for 4th place Colgate, a team that beat Bucknell twice.

toddcudd
    Participant

Agreed, Chip. Bucky could lose to Navy – but they won’t lose to the ‘pards. I’m pretty happy with 2-seed, considering how season started.

CHIP72
    Participant

I just want the Mountain Hawks to get that #2 seed and win their quarterfinal game so they can host a semifinal game. I’ll be visiting the family the weekend of the PL Tournament semifinals and want to attend a PL Tournament game at Stabler. Because I live in the DC area, I don’t get to see too many Lehigh home games (though I typically see them when they play at American and sometimes when they play at Navy or Loyola; I saw their games at AU and Loyola this season).

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

If Lehigh wins this Wednesday at Hamilton, they clinch at a bare minimum the No. 2 seed, with a shot at the No. 1 if Bucknell loses.

If Lehigh loses Wednesday, it gets messy, but oddly enough they could still finish anywhere from 1st to 4th. Finishing in 1st would involve a weird 3-way tie with Bucknell and BU and Colgate finishing in 4th, but I think it is possible.

Bottom line, though, win Wednesday and we are guaranteed at least one home game.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote=25644]

If Lehigh loses Wednesday, it gets messy, but oddly enough they could still finish anywhere from 1st to 4th. Finishing in 1st would involve a weird 3-way tie with Bucknell and BU and Colgate finishing in 4th, but I think it is possible..

[/quote]

Not possible. In a 3-way tie, Bucknell has the tiebreaker. Whoever finished 4th would be irrelevant.

toddcudd
    Participant

I think Colgate only enters the equation if we end up tied with Bucky and ‘gate leapfrogs BU and Navy for 3rd.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

That’s correct. Colgate doesn’t need to leapfrog them but at least get into a tie with them. Of course that becomes more difficult because LU may have to beat CU to get into the 1st place tie.

lehigh90
    Participant

2 seed seems likely, 1 seed seems like a real long shot. Aren’t we guaranteed 2 home games if we win Wednesday? Quarter and semi?

toddcudd
    Participant

Sorta. Gotta win the first one though… :-)

toddcudd
    Participant

If Army beats BU tonight, I think we can rest a lot easier re: the 2-seed.

lfnadmin
    Keymaster

[quote=25645]Not possible. In a 3-way tie, Bucknell has the tiebreaker. Whoever finished 4th would be irrelevant.
    [/quote]

I see you are right. In “teams involved in the tie”, Bucknell would be 3-1, Lehigh would be 2-2, and BU would be 1-3.

Lehigh and Bucknell’s paths are clear:

* Bucknell wins both games, they are the No. 1 seed

* Lehigh wins both games, they are either the No. 1 seed or the No. 2 seed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.