At Navy 2018

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Football At Navy 2018

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by RichH RichH 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    marco
    marco
    Participant

Just watched USNA run all over their bowl opponent today.

Gosh I hope we get a semblance of a defence by September 15th…

richb-1
    Participant

I wondered when (if ever) was the last time two schools who Lehigh had played in living memory (Virginia 1976, Navy 1987). We lost to Va 21-20, scoring an almost tying touchdown as time expired, but failed in a two point attempt. I guess we clobbered a horrible Navy team in 1987 (we ended 5-5-1).

Uh, not optimistic we can do better(even as well as) than the one Navy game I attended, a 33 point loss.

?? Anyone know if the middies can where long johns etc under their dress uniforms. Looked COLD.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Watched some of the game. Navy had 0 yds passing on 1 attempt. Lehigh has not been able to stop runs. Not a good combination for a competitive game. Sutyak has a lot of work ahead of him. Was disappointed game got moved from week 0 back to its original date. After watching Navy, we should all be thankful. Geesh!

LehighForLifer
    Participant

SAME COACHES, SAME DEFENSIVE THINKING, AND NO COMPETITION THIS SPRING (SAME AS LAST SPRING).

I’M NOT SURE HOW ANYONE CAN EXPECT ANYTHING NEW OUT OF THE DEFENSE IN 2018.

WILL BE EVEN MORE EMBARRASSING TO WATCH THAN LAST YEAR.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Sorry to be so negative …

But the Navy game sets up for a the kind of defensive embarrassment LU fans “have gotten used to” (or at least the HC and AD apparently have come to accept). There have been more embarrassments the past two or three years than in the six decades or so I’ve followed the program.

Or so it seems.

Sad.

Would be good to hear from the AD or HC what legitimate changes will be made to improve the D — not just “the kids continue to improve on the system and are getting bigger and stronger.”

Same story everywhere else.

The sorry state of the defense overshadows some incredible improvement and consistency on offense of which the HC and AD should be proud.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Gotta agree. Over 6 + decades, i have seen some bad teams and very bad Ds. The last 4 years of D ranging from bad to abysmal is something that I cannot really grasp. There are excuses every year but no improvement. This past season was perhaps the most frustrating as all we needed was a barely mediocre D to have a great year. We have a list of excuses. New staff new scheme new players injuries. All valid to a certain extent. What I didnt see was any substantial improvement from game 1 to game 12.
    So far no changes in staff. Andy usually gives assts time to find a new position before acting. We’ll see. I like Sutyak as DC. Great recruiter and a fiery coach. I would like to see him take more control of the D. Not easy to do with 2 ex DCs on staff.

TMH
    Participant

So far no changes in staff.

Be patient :-)

Lehigh74
    Participant

[quote quote=33364]So far no changes in staff.
    Be patient :-)[/quote]

Do you know something we don’t?

ngineer
    ngineer
    Participant

If changes occur, at our level they do take time. The last time we had significant change, when Cecchini left with several of our assistants in tow, it took Andy two months to fill the vacancies, primarily because each hire prospect has to go through the HR investigation every University hire is subjected to. I remember him expressing frustration about the delay that caused because these candidates have other opportunities waiting as well. One cannot just push a button and make it happen.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

[quote quote=33364]So far no changes in staff.

Be patient :-)[/quote]
    And so it begins.
    Add up today for a defensive asst.coach.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Appears Botts has stepped down. No confirmation yet( other than a post on AGS).

Lehigh74
    Participant

Let’s hope the hiring is an experienced and proven defensive coordinator.

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

Here’s the job opening:

https://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/defensive-assistant-football-coach-lehigh-university-JV_IC1151922_KO0,34_KE35,52.htm?jl=2622998660

Looks like Botts’ job.

Also looks like a toothless position, with little authority. Will this hire have any control? Sounds like no, but he will handle LBs, something that’s critical.

Hopefully he will persuade whomever that at least three REAL linebackers are needed to stop FCS running games. The two-man LB experiment with rover has cost this team TOO much over the past few years.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

sunday
    Its a standard asst coach ad. Either using Botts’ $ to add an asst or one of tha asst coaches is moving on.

Lehigh74
    Participant

I don’t understand the logic of the ad at all. What does “Senior Advisor to the Defensive Football Staff” mean? Does it mean we are looking for a defensive coordinator, someone to advise the defensive coordinator (like a bench coach in MLB) or only applicants who are over 65?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  Lehigh74.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.