Brett Reed

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    travism
    travism
    Participant

I honestly don’t know what to think of reed anymore as head Coach. Don’t get me wrong. He is a very nice guy. Smart. Well spoken. I’m not trying to hate on him or anything. A few years ago I really thought he was a great coach. Was worried he was going to leave us for a bigger school. But was that more a product of cj and that team and the run they had. I know losing a guy to the nba deff hurts. But it seems Reed has gotten worse over the past few years. He is clueless when it comes to making in game adjustments. And it has been showing since last year. Reed is deff a smart basketball guy. I just really question a lot of what he is doing and lack of doing. Like last night. Clearly we are getting killed and he stands there the whole first half like he don’t know what to do or say. We needed to guard the perimeter better and probably get out of man defense. So if u guys could just voice your opinions about this. Like I said. He is not a bad coach. Just wondering if anyone agrees with me

travism
    travism
    Participant

Another quick note. Now I’m not around the team but from what I gathered and have heard is coach kroogs was very well liked. I know he played a big role in recruiting. But is this staff missing kroogs. I tend to think so.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

travis
    Doc is what he has always been. Great program builder. He has never benn a good game coach. He probably a bit better now than when he first started.
    Loss of Alston,Holba,Miles and Sedore put us in a pit. It also exposds individual deficiencies that cannot be alleviated by substitution as there is little left on the bench.

hawktalker
    Participant

In fairness, this year’s team is minus four guys, at least three of whom would have played major minutes. That’s a situation that would challenge any coach

travism
    travism
    Participant

Yea but I’m sorry miles was out of picture for months now. Sedore was said to be very raw and not see many mins. But who knows. So just because holba a unproven fresh and ba we have such a decline ? I don’t get it. Even with them two guys I don’t think we are best in conf. Army really impressed me last night. But yea I do agree like I been saying depth is killing us.

van
    van
    Participant

insert Alston instead of Carter/Lafroy and we would have a much better team, and Holba would likely be giving quality minutes instead of JRG

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant

I wondered the same, Travism, but gave the BR the benefit of the doubt due to the absences.

That said, I wondered how many losses it would take for someone to raise the coach issue on this forum.

That said, I remember the fears on this board a couple of years ago when there were coach openings at this bigger university or that bigger one and we might lose BR.

Sadly, even with the player of the year on this team, it looks awful. This isn’t a Tom Pugliese team. Lots of questions to ask …

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

A given that doc not a great game coach. Given the players he has available,what exactly do you want doc to do?

sundayamqb
    sundayamqb
    Participant
    travism
    travism
    Participant

Like I sAid I don’t think he is a bad coach. But a few things concern me. But yea. What can he do this year. It’s sad. Alston would have helped and I’m sure holba would have played a role. We really need to see how the first few league games play out and then see how we stand.

Quick question. Jj Davis is a walk on. Was curious why we don’t have say a few more kids on roster for depth. Army may be bad exAmple but they had like 16 kids or more. A few other teams that came to stabler so far to. Can anyone on campus try out. If so. Surprised we don’t have an extra body or two. Not of kids who are really Any good. But just some bodies for games and practices.. How does this work with try outs if any. Or how jj walked on.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

Unusual year all around. Doc has usually had $-3 WOs each year. Now we could us’em and we aint got”em :)
    Jj was addsd prr tryout. He came from intramurals not the Club squad.

toddcudd
    Participant

We are at least 1 schollie under this year. Until I see otherwise, we’re 2 under for next year. Reed, admin, or some combo?
    We need at least 1 more in 2016 class. Or will we continue to play short-handed?
    Army is no comparison. They have dressed 20+ in recent years.

lehigh90
    Participant

I think Reed is an average college basketball coach. A little above average on the recruiting side and a little below average on the in game coaching side. I can’t recall too many games where I thought he out coached the competition. And, a few times I’m left scratching my head. I still can’t believe he sat CJ with 2 first half fouls vs Xavier, in biggest game in program history. He’s certainly not a risk taker.

He has won with good players and lost with lesser players. After all this time, I’m not sure what he is, what is his stock in trade? Is he a defensive minded guy? an offensive guy? Seems like to me he wants to be a hard nosed, defensive, man to man coach, but his teams don’t really play that way. They don’t get after anybody. He’s not a hard nosed motivator type but more a players coach, more philosopher than disciplinarian.

I would like to see him be a little less predictable. Mix in some zone defenses (he has done that more this year), perhaps press full court or trap, and run a little more on the offensive end. Seems to like the high pick and roll game, and not much else.

He’s pretty average and I’m starting to think he’s a lifer at Lehigh. I don’t see why any bigger program would be drawn to him. He’s very well spoken and knows every sports cliche in the book, and runs a solid, clean program, but he doesn’t instill tons of confidence. Program has been on upswing last 5-6 years, but probably more related to the CJ, Gabe, Holden class than anything else.

This team is underachieving. They aren’t deep, but a really good coach gets more from this group. In PL, he’s probably in top 3-4. I like O’Hanlon and Carmody on X’s and O’s, but neither are great recruiters. I liked Paulsen a lot, but jury out on new Bucknell coach. A lot of unknowns in rest of PL coaches.

For me, the 5 years post CJ is a critical time. Chance to build on success and build consistent, year in, year out, winner. He seems to be squandering that at moment, even with 2-3 elite players. His recruiting has been very up and down. Some gems, some dogs, and some classes with very little. He has to be disappointed by the program support and playing in front of an empty arena most nights.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote=24595] Was curious why we don’t have say a few more kids on roster for depth. Army may be bad exAmple but they had like 16 kids or more. A few other teams that came to stabler so far to. Can anyone on campus try out. If so. Surprised we don’t have an extra body or two.

[/quote]

Army and Navy are definitely bad examples since they generally have spots for 8+ recruits a year, i.e. 32+ over four years, as opposed to the 13 allowed for the other schools. Of course some transfer and some quit the team if they see that it is unlikely they will see much playing time – but it gives Army and Navy a much bigger pool of players. Army currently rosters 25, but they had six sophs/juniors leave the team who were rostered last year.

According to Verbal Commits, Navy has had 25 commits over the past three years – many of whom initially went to NAPS. Army actually had 28 over a three-year period.

Two other things that are different: (1) Having MAPS/NAPS to give most recruits a “redshirt” year; and (2) having a JV team to give playing time to those who won’t get it with the varsity.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

+1 ’90. Agree with just about everything you said above.

Reed is what he is, which certainly contains some shortcomings. I think he sees himself as a free-flowing offensively oriented coach. But as I’ve brought up repeatedly, I think the lack of physical and mental toughness has been a real problem for his teams. Lehigh has at least 3 above average PL starters in Kempton, Price, and Ross – and maybe more, so this team should not be struggling the way it is even with the health issues that are not Reed’s fault.

I would not lose any sleep if he were to leave Lehigh. I think the Mentesana years are far enough away that we are not in danger of going back there. There are a bunch of solid young coaches out there with strong Lehigh connections (Logie, Gilfillan, Neptune, Krueger) plus candidates like Carmody at
    HC that are drawn to the league.

However, with the right staff and continued recruiting success, I think there are more PL championships in his future if he stays at Lehigh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.