Game 4: Columbia

Forum Forum Lehigh Sports Lehigh Men’s Basketball Game 4: Columbia

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  lehigh90 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

LU65
    Participant

Game Time: 4pm Sunday, November 22nd @ Columbia

Game Notes

LU’s

http://www.lehighsports.com/custompages/Game%20Notes/Men's%20Basketball/2015-16/4%20-%20Lehigh%20at%20Columbia%20Notes%20112215.pdf

Columbia’s

We await

KenPom Projections

LU (0-3), PL (20th ranked)
    Ranked 160th
    @
    Columbia (0-2), IVY (15th ranked)
    Ranked 119th

Columbia wins by 6 (74-68)

A Look at the Lions of Columbia

Like Lehigh, the Lions are looking for their first win of the year, after dropping their first two – both on the road in back to back journeys to the nation’s heartland last week – to Kansas State and Northwestern , both Top 100 teams. They’ll no doubt be anxious to welcome us into their Levian Gym on Sunday. Lehigh fell to the Lions at Stabler last year by the score of 44-54. They were led that day by a pair of junior guards: Issac Cohen and Maodo Lo. Each returns for this rematch. Lo, who leads the team in Assists and Steals, should prove to be a handful. Here’s a brief look at their 6’3” guard who hails from Germany, #12 Maodo Lo:
    2015-16: Played for German National Team at 2015 University Games… Comes into 2015-16 with 1,165 points, 16th most in school history… Eight 3-pointers shy of tying school’s all-time record… Has third best 3-point field goal percentage in program history (.416)… Currently ranks seventh with 104 career steals.
    2014-15: Second Team All-Met and NABC All-Region… Unanimous first team All-Ivy League selected… Made 84 3-pointers, the second in a single-season at Columbia… Set Ivy League record with 11 made 3-pointers at Princeton en route to 37 points, the most scored by an Ivy League since 2011

Columbia was ranked 2nd in the League’s Pre-season Media Poll. FYI, Yale was picked to come out on top.

How Columbia fell in OT to Northwestern

http://www.gocolumbialions.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43668&SPID=3886&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210517420&DB_OEM_ID=9600

See what their fans are saying

http://boards.basketball-u.com/showforum.php?fid/39/

LU65
    Participant

Some 3-game Shocking Stats

TK

Shooting

2’s 7 for 25 or .280
    3’s 2 for 3 or .667
    Overall 9 for 28 or .321

Rebounding

Offensive 10 (one every 9.2 min)
    Defensive 15 (one every 6.1 min)
    Overall 25 (one every 3.7 min)

JC

Shooting

2’s 6 for 19 or .316
    3’s 6 for 12 or .500
    overall 12 for 31 or .387

Rebounding

Offensive 7 (one every 14.3 min)
    Defensive 16 (one every 6.5 min)
    Overall 23 (one every 4.3 min)

KenPom tells us that Lehigh ranks 330th among the 351 D-1 teams in terms of limiting Offensive Rebounds while on Defense. Our opponents come down with a rebound on their “O” boards 43.8% of the time. For example, Yale and Canisius pulled down a combined 40 Offensive Boards yielding them a combined 40 second chance points. ‘nough said!

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

So bottom line w/o JG we suck at rebounding.

jimk72
    jimk72
    Participant

Yup. So far, we suck wind. Particularly on the glass. This year worse than usual.

Due to work schedule, the Columbia game is the only date I can attend until 12/22 against Mt.St.Marys. Columbia (Harlem) means a two hour Beiber bus ride from Allentown to Port Authority, then the #1 subway to 116th street. After the frustrating bombs against Canisius and Yale I teetered on not going. But if you are a real fan…….. so a friend and I are making the trek.

Anyone else? I’ll be the noisy old fart wearing an all Brown w/ White “LEHIGH” lettered sweatshirt, in case you’d like to join us in rooting for a turnaround game.

At least football got it done today. Maybe Bball breaks out tomorrow.

toddcudd
    Participant

See what their fans are saying:

Tellingly, what their fans are saying is “nothing”. Discussion there is about prior games and their upcoming “challenging” games, Stony Brook and Yale. Make of that what you will.

On the glass-half-full side, looking past us could work to our advantage, if the team and staff see our game as their fans do.
    I don’t think I can stomach paying the IL to watch today’s game. Pretty sure their endowment could cover it without too much pain.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Columbia hasn’t rebounded well in their two high major losses, so that gives me some hope. They will have the best player on the floor though in Lo. I hope this team plays with a little fire, but I’m not expecting a W here.

van
    van
    Participant

part of the rebound stats is the number of minutes we have played zone and given a lot of O rebounds and of course the lack of depth on the front line, otherwise rebounding has seemed about the same as last year (as in not a strength)

LU65
    Participant

How knows, maybe AP will remember the last time he faced Columbia (11/23/14) and had arguably his worst game as a Mountain Hawk.

That day, back at Stabler, he went 1 for 9 (including 0 for 4 from deep). Maybe it’s payback time. We can only hope. He certainly looks confident and boasts
    team-highs in: Minutes (109), FGs (18), FG% (.439), 3FGs (8), steals (2.7/game), and ppg (18.3).

We’ll soon know. If anyone (jimk72?) is headed to the game and has the time, kindly pass along updates. Thanks.

Bison137
    Bison137
    Participant

[quote=23941]Columbia hasn’t rebounded well in their two high major losses, so that gives me some hope. They will have the best player on the floor though in Lo. I hope this team plays with a little fire, but I’m not expecting a W here.

[/quote]

Not mentioned thus far is Alex Rosenberg, who two years ago made 1st team All-Ivy – when Lo was second team. Rosenberg had to drop out of school last year to preserve his final year of eligibility after a serious foot injury. If he is back to 100%, it gives Columbia a lot of offensive options. Also back is guard Grant Mullins, who missed last year with serious concussion symptoms. Thus far he is leading them in scoring and he is a solid all-around guard.

RichH
    RichH
    Participant

41-22 at half. No D,no shooting,no rebounding. Good Lord,just terrible.

travism
    travism
    Participant

Hate to say it but we will be lucky to finish top 4 in pl. Bucknell has looked good

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Caught some of the Boston U vs South Florida game yesterday. USF not great but BU minus their best player (Hankerson) and another starter (Fanning) looked way better than Lehigh has at any point thus far. Got the W on the road as well.

lehigh90
    Participant

This team is bad.

StablerBum
    StablerBum
    Participant

Massive test for Reed, staff, and players the rest of the way. Preseason #1 to an 0-4 start and none of them close. Up next is a UVA team that has won their last two by 25+ and then Purdue which just held a good Old Dominion team under 40.

Still a lot to play for the rest of this season, as well as next year (bringing back almost everyone barring more transfers/injuries) – so I really hope we start to see some signs of progress. Whichever way the rest of the season ends up going will say a lot about everyone involved with this program.

lehigh90
    Participant

This is what you get when you have 13 scholarships available and have 5 legit experienced scholarship players.

5 players – TK, AP, JG (unhealthy), KR, JC

4 w/limited to no real experience – DC, KL, TJ, JRG

3 out – MH, CS, BA

1 walk-on – JJD

Unless more move in to the first category this is a sub .500 team.

I don’t see us improving unless MH gets healthy and is a real player, or KL and/or TJ take huge steps forward. We pretty much know what we get from the others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.